• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Changing setup and how to make shutters?

sashababe

Warren Scout
Hi,

I am looking at altering my setup as it's never been through a winter before and this has been an eye-opener! I have a 10ft by 6ft run (about 5ft high - ish) with a hutch on stilts in it, roofed with corrugated plastic (well half done and the other half is tarpaulin at the moment as the snow interrupted the makeover!). My plan it to build a 'panel' to fit in at around 4 ft into the run - a solid panel with a human door on one half and a bunny-flap on the other. I then hope to enclose the mesh around the hutch to (in effect) create a 6ftx4ft 'shed' with the hutch within in.

My thoughts are that with the clear plastic roof, this will get too hot in summer so I was thinking of maybe making shutters to cover the existing mesh rather than featheredging it as planned. Has anyone made shutters before and if so, what from? The one to go along the end of the run under the existing hutch will be 6ft long by 2ft high so will need to be a strong-ish material I would guess? How have people attached them onto existing setups as they wont 'slot in' (the mesh is on the outside of the run wooden frame)? Any thoughts appreciated :)

Holly

You can use greenhouse shade netting over the roof in summer to give some shade :)

I'd suggest outdoor plywood - like they make hutches from for shutters, you might need to add a frame so you've got something to attach hinges too.

Back