• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are rabbits Happy alone?

Aniamlia

New Kit
I was given 3 rabbits last night, which now make four.

I was given 2 female lionhead (mother 2, and daughter, 1)
a Lop who is also female 2 years old.

I already have a 2year female.

I was also given 2 x 5 foot 2 tiers hutch. The lion heads in one, the lop in the other.

Im planning on getting them neutered but i have to come up with £400 to do so. Iv just been made redundant, so it may take a while.
The woman who gave them say they get on fine, but i have notice the the mother, kind of pick on the daughter and its a little hard to watch. I have no spear hutch.

What im trying to say, if i can find a good home for one of the lion heads, will the mother be happy on her own?

How badly is the mother "picking on" the daughter? Is it just a bit of chasing and or fur pulling? This can happen even with bonded buns, so I wouldn't worry too much at this stage unless the mother starts to be very aggressive and is biting daughter, then I would separate until they are both neutered. How long are they being kept in the hutch for? They shouldn't really be confined to a 5ft hutch, and if they are, then they could be bored or just needing more space. Are their hutches in a shed or outside?

As regards to spaying, £400 sounds rather expensive...where about's are you? maybe someone on here could recommend a rabbit savvy vet near you that is cheaper. Buns also need to be vaccinated too...so you really need to find a good vet that isn't too expensive.

Forgot to say that ideally rabbits prefer company of their own kind...but they really do need to be neutered.

Its looks she chases her away, nudging her, but it looks agreessive i havent seen fur in the mouth but then again she a lionhead teddy and she all fur! lol. Iv only just been giving them last night, and im letting them out for 3 hours and then at night bringing them in for a hour to brush them. They have lots of toy, enrichment, boxes, tubes and balls.

If they are outdoor rabbits then don't bring them inside. The temp difference can damage their lungs so either brush them outside or maybe in the kitchen with the back door open. (This is what I would do so I wasn't out in the snow/rain.)

I would not keep them in that hutch for longer than a week or so. The chasing will escalate from boredom and being confined for such long periods of time. Bunnies need large spaces to run, jump and periscope at all times and they can't do that in a 5ft hutch. If there is no fur pulling and just a bit of chasing then I wouldn't worry, my bunnies chase and fur pull at feeding times but they get along perfectly ok most of the time. Getting them spayed should help any hormonal aggression, though. Are you keeping the buns indefinitely or are you rehoming them?

Ideally buns should be kept in a hutch of 6x2x2 feet with an attached run to have access to at all times if you are thinking of keeping them. :thumb:

My hutch is 5x5x2, with a level in the middle, is that bad for one rabbit?, iv asked the pdsa and my local rescue center and they reccomend a minimun of 4 foot, im not sure who to believe now. They go out everyday for a min of 3 hours in my 20x30(meters) + back garden. I cant keep them out yet as they are not neutered and bonded yet. once that is done they will only be put away at nighttime.

Hello :wave:

I always use this site as a guide to sizes: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

And if you look around the forum there are pictures and ideas of how to make housing even better for bunnies. For example, your hutch could just have a pen attached on the side relatively cheaply. I'm a relatively new owner too and it's a minefield- so much advice around and it's all different!

Hope the link helps.

Back