• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Twitching rabbit - Started again! #71

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
I don't know if I am describing this correctly but Alvin has started doing a strange twitching/ shudder type thing. We have just lost Roxy so I'm a bit concerned.

I could just be panicking but I've managed to capture it on video and would be grateful if anyone could advise.

The video only shows Alvin pulling his head up during the twitch but just now when petting him it seemed to be his body twitching/tensing also, which he wasn't doing before.

He is doing this when sitting resting/dozing so it could be a twitch in his sleep caused by stress of losing Roxy?

What else could be the cause?

Last edited:
Your link isn't working. I probably won't know but will have a look for you. Poor little bunny and poor you. xx

Definitely abnormal. Looks like it might be some oral discomfort. I would get a Vet to see him ASAP xx

His leg is twitching now too. I'm trying to upload that video, its just taking sometime to compress.

Just realised that my pet carrier is at the crematorium. Away to phone Dobbies to see if they'll sell me a cardboard one to get him there.

His leg is twitching now too. I'm trying to upload that video, its just taking sometime to compress.

Just realised that my pet carrier is at the crematorium. Away to phone Dobbies to see if they'll sell me a cardboard one to get him there.

Could he have ingested anything toxic ?

If the 'twitching' is now more wide spread then it is possibly neurological.

Best thing to do is get him to the Vets I think

ETA Does he chew any painted wood surfaces, paint that is old and may contain lead ?

No he never bites anything. He is seriously good.

This is the leg twitch from about 28 secs onwards. Sorry for the rubbish video.

Thanks for your help, I really didn't expect to be needing it so soon.

Can this be treated, what can I expect the vet to do? Don't be afraid to give it to me straight, good or bad I'd really rather know.

Thanks for your help, I really didn't expect to be needing it so soon.

Can this be treated, what can I expect the vet to do? Don't be afraid to give it to me straight, good or bad I'd really rather know.

The Vet may think it to be appropriate to start treatment for EC and may also give a covering abx

An anti-inflammatory is also likely to be needed

Vet may suggest running blood tests and/or admitting him for observation.

My thought was EC too. To me it looks like he is trying to stand but can't maybe? Hope all goes well at the vets. Xx

Thanks for the well wishes guys. :thumb:

Alvin has got a dose of Panacur for 9 days and an antibiotic for 5 days. We haven't been given any anti flams but I do have some left over from Roxy..... not that I would medicate without the advise of a vet but I could phone. EC was mentioned but she said it could be a host of neurological issues.

I've to take him back tomorrow if he isn't any better or worse and they'll look to do bloods.

His whole body was quivering at the vets so she could see what I was talking about. He hasn't had any problems standing but I'll be keeping an eye on him. He was happy enough on the floor at the vet having a hop around. She seemed happy with him behaving normally, so was I as he had been twitching and looking uncomfortable for a few hours.

I have just read the panacur leaflet and it says that 9 days is a preventative measure and that a 28 course should be used for EC.

Thanks for the well wishes guys. :thumb:

Alvin has got a dose of Panacur for 9 days and an antibiotic for 5 days. We haven't been given any anti flams but I do have some left over from Roxy..... not that I would medicate without the advise of a vet but I could phone. EC was mentioned but she said it could be a host of neurological issues.

I've to take him back tomorrow if he isn't any better or worse and they'll look to do bloods.

His whole body was quivering at the vets so she could see what I was talking about. He hasn't had any problems standing but I'll be keeping an eye on him. He was happy enough on the floor at the vet having a hop around. She seemed happy with him behaving normally, so was I as he had been twitching and looking uncomfortable for a few hours.

I have just read the panacur leaflet and it says that 9 days is a preventative measure and that a 28 course should be used for EC.

Yep, def 28 days. Also with EC anti-inflammatories are essential.

Oh he is gorgeous, poor little one. I can see why you would be so worried. I hope the pancur sorts him out.

Lots of hugs and a big cuddle for him.

Back