• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny after being spayed

Emmax15

Young Bun
Hello :wave:
I had my bunny spayed on Friday and just would like some reassurance about her behavious now - the rational part of me thinks she is okay but there is the neurotic mother part of me that is worrying about everything!

She came home from the vet Friday afternoon and the vet said everything went fine, apart from the fact that she is a bit overweight (oops - cutting down on her treats from now on!!) but she came round quickly and came home. She is normally an outdoor bun (in a hutch in a shed) but I bought her in so I could keep an eye on her. Also with all the snow outside I would have felt bad leaving her out there anyway! She didn't eat anything at all on Friday day or night which I didn't really expect, but I worry about her getting a compact stomach which I've heard about?? She had a post op check at the vet Saturday afternoon and they were suprised she hadn't eaten, so gave her some critical care food.
She wouldn't take the critical care from me and still didn't really eat anything on Saturday apart from a few strands of hay.

Sunday morning I got up and she had eaten a small bunch of parsley overnight and had done some wee and poos. Sunday afternoon she hopped around the conservatory for a bit but mostly just laid there stretched out.

Today she didn't eat much last night but has had a bit of kale and parsley this morning. She seems bright and happy and has spent the morning hopping around - her scar seems clean and tidy and she is stretching all over the place so I don't think she is in too much pain with it - I'm just worried about the amount she has eaten as I said earlier she likes her food!

Is this amount normal after a GA/op? I suppose if I had a big op like that I wouldn't be much up to eating.

Sorry for the ramble - just trying to give as much info as possible :lol:

No, it is not normal for a bun to not eat for that long after a spay. I would get her back to the vets straight away as she will need looking at...probably will need to be checked that she hasn't a blockage before being given gut stimulants and painkillers.

Most buns maybe a bit groggy the day after but usually start eating their pellets within a day. Can you get hold of any vegetable baby food? I found Pebs hated being fed by syringe but loved organix baby food off a spoon.. or maybe try your bun with softened pellets (using pre-boiled luke warm water).

Is she drinking OK?

Forgot to say that buns don't usually show signs of pain as they are a prey animal, but laying stretched out can be a sign of gut pain.

Last edited:
Has she been having daily pain relief ? A spay is a major abdominal op' and pain relief is essential. A Rabbit in pain wont eat. If your Vet says pain relief is not necessary I'd ask them if they would fancy undergoing a hysterectomy with no post op analgesia........................

Agree with Jane..the vet should have given you pain relief to take home with you, if they didn't then she will definitely be in pain and this will explain the stasis.

Thanks for your replies - she wasnt drinking much either and started grinding her teeth so I have just taken her to the vet.

They told me she was given some pain relief at the time of the op/before I bought her home. But they didnt give me anything to take away with me, which I asked about. I mentioned that it was a massive op and we wouldnt expect to get through it with no pain releif and he said 'hmmm thats true.'

He gave her a shot of pain relief and also a shot to boost her appetite. They also managed to force feed her some critical care to get her started.

Having bought her home she instatly drank a lot of water and is now snuggled up with a blanket. After she has settled from going to the vet I hope she'll start to eat.

I was given 5 or 7 days pain relief for Doughnut after her spay and she was eating the following day. She had been given that shot to last her to the following morning before I started giving her her meds. I guess they didn't give you any to take home this time either? I would rather have some on hand instead of having to keep taking your poor little bun back and forwards. I hope this shot helps and that when it wears off she is pain free.

When one of my buns has a dental, and indeed after her spay, she usually needs an extra shot of metaclopromide the next day to get her gut going again. All buns are different. Some buns tums need an extra jump start occasionally.

Back