• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

URGENT: Should I bring Bunnies in?

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi I would appreciate advice urgently please.

D'Argo and Falon are outdoor buns but come in if temp outside is above 0°. They have thick winter coats but Falon's very long lop ear gets soaked in snow. They have insulated hutch plus snugglesafe and loads of straw and i leave hutch door open. Problem is they just sit in the snow and although have lots if shelters in the garden they wont use them.

After days of sub zero temps plus about 3" snow in ground I am worried they are going to get ill :-(. Should I bring them in to kitchen (coldest room)? If so would they be able to go out when temp gets to 1 or 2°?

I am just concerned the snow is so deep ...

Any advice please? thanks.

I've always been led to believe its not good to bring them into the house once they are outside due to temperature regulation, I would be inclined to leave them if they seem to be coping ok? I totally understand where your coming from though, it is a worry but as you say they have thick winter coat and plenty of insulating bedding and shelter so they should be fine, mine were outside last year in -10 and I just gave loads of hay and every time I put my hand in it was sooo warm!!

I would only bring them inside if the temperature change wont be too dramatic for them. As long as they've got lots of hay to snuggle up in and keep them warm outside they should be ok but if you're worried about them getting ill then only you know what's best for your rabbits. :)

I wouldnt worry if they weren't just sitting in the snow all day but they are out from 9-4 ish and they don't go into their shelters. D'Argo has had a portion of Weetabix with warm water but Falon Wont eat it. The kitchen is cooler than rest of house.

I often think that rabbits are very much like children and we have to make the decisions for them as they don't always know what's best. Can you keep them in their enclosure until the snow has gone? This seems a sensible thing to do.

Dont bring them in, even if your kitchen is cold it will still likely be over 15 degrees, so we are talking a +15c change for them. Too much of a change, it will stress the system and may cause them start moulting their winter coats if left in it too long. Outdoors will also feel doubly cold when you put them out again.

Also, are they in a secure run at night? It sounds like they have access to the whole garden, and obviously that is very unsafe.

Thats what i was worrying about. I wonder if i could just open kitchen door so they could sit inside. with door open it would be freezing.

If he can jump 5' perhaps extend the fence another 2'. If it is a fence they will jump but not if it is wire.

Thats what i was worrying about. I wonder if i could just open kitchen door so they could sit inside. with door open it would be freezing.

They will be fine outside, our vet says rabbits are hardier than sheep (our vet practice is a rural practice). We have 2 male bunnies who spend a lot of time sitting in the snow in their run, just ensure they have plenty of clean, dry bedding in their hutch if they wish to go inside. It's really difficult even with the weather as it is at the moment to get them in their hutch for bed-late at night. Bringing them indoors really will cause them problems.

They are locked in hutch at night. Their pen doesnt have a roof but we have 7ft fences around garden. I leave pen open so they have whole of garden as no point closing it.

Yes i could lock them up more but their hutch is only 6ft x 3ft and they are big buns. I am trying to clear shed but it has no natural light except one tiny window. i do plan to steal it for Bunnies but needs adapting and i havent got there yet.

They will be fine outside, our vet says rabbits are hardier than sheep (our vet practice is a rural practice). We have 2 male bunnies who spend a lot of time sitting in the snow in their run, just ensure they have plenty of clean, dry bedding in their hutch if they wish to go inside. It's really difficult even with the weather as it is at the moment to get them in their hutch for bed-late at night. Bringing them indoors really will cause them problems.

I suspect you are right. I just worry ...

They are locked in hutch at night. Their pen doesnt have a roof but we have 7ft fences around garden. I leave pen open so they have whole of garden as no point closing it.

Yes i could lock them up more but their hutch is only 6ft x 3ft and they are big buns. I am trying to clear shed but it has no natural light except one tiny window. i do plan to steal it for Bunnies but needs adapting and i havent got there yet.

Foxes can get over 7ft fences, and so can cats, so I think your pen needs a roof really.

That is scary. i thought a 7ft was too high for a fox. Thank you for confirming. I will have to see about roofing it.

Bith buns are bigger than cats. one came in once and then ran away when D charged. Hasnt been back.

That is scary. i thought a 7ft was too high for a fox. Thank you for confirming. I will have to see about roofing it.

Bith buns are bigger than cats. one came in once and then ran away when D charged. Hasnt been back.

It only takes one tough cat though

I spoke to lots of people at the time i got D and they reckoned it was fine as cats wouldn't try ... That being said, i am working on shed and am now going to cover their enclosure.

I wouldn't leave them to go out into a Un secure run if I wasn't supervising them its too risky with cats and foxes

Back