• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to expect from a homecheck.. U/D

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Question as above really. :)

How long do they usually take?
Also, does everything in the set up need to be 100% complete before they take place?
I ask because the divide that is to section that part of the room is currently temporary and although we have the plan draw up and most of the materials it's not complete (and it would be easier to do while Humphrey is being bonded elsewhere).

Thanks. :D

Last edited:
It varies between rescues.

I dont really see the problem with the area not being entirely ready, as it gives the rescue a chance to offer you some tips and advice on how best you use the space you have. I would personally far rather see an empty canvas than tell someone the 4ft hutch they just bought wasnt suitable :D.

Its just a look about and a chat really, nothing to feel threatened by :D.

I guess different rescues have different criteria, and also I would suspect it would also come down to the actual homechecker's "gut feeling".. i.e. if you can show that you are in the middle of making the area ideal, then I doubt that would be a problem. My check only took about 15-20 minutes I guess, but I already had one bun at the time, and she could see how well he was loved (pampered) by the fact that he probably had more toys than the kids :lol:

Having homechecked people in the past, I have always wanted to see something complete and ready for the bunnies to move into. Otherwise you're simply taking their word for it that they are 'planning to' make something better, or have to make two visits, which is a waste of my time and fuel...IMO it needs to be good enough already by the homecheck, they can't 'approve' something as suitable accommodation if it's not been built yet. I can think of a number of occasions where people are 'going to' do something but haven't actually delivered (or not within a reasonable timescale)...you may know that you're trustworthy and will do as you say, but the rescue doesn't know that and therefore has to rely on what they actually see.

It's probably best that you get in contact with the rescue who is homechecking you and ask them for their view, as whether they will insist on it being ready beforehand will probably depend on individual rescues or indeed whether what you have now is already fine, and you're just planning on making it better :D

Thanks everyone. :D I'm kind of excited but also nervous!!

The homecheck may take a bit longer in my house having to meet all the animals. :lol:

I've sent an email to the rescue just now.

I'm irrationally paranoid that a rabbit that's been in rescue 9 months is going to suddenly have loads of people wanting to adopt her and that someone will adopt her without anyone contacting me. :oops:

I can relate, I've just sent some photos of our potential future bunny's accommodation and am already pooping myself! :oops::lol: If they need to do a full home visit I may just have a breakdown!

This may be a bit of an overreaction...! :oops:

I'm a homechecker and it usually just involves a half hour visit. This is to be sure that the future owner has everything setup properly, discuss any further issues about bunny ownership and leave my contact details.

Most rescues/re-homing will already have done the background work, I just go along to confirm that what they've been told or seen via e-mail etc is the truth.

Most times though I end up staying about an hour and rabbit on!!!!!!:thumb::lol::lol:

Best of luck.

Thought I'd update to say Humphrey is going for bonding and will hopefully return with a little rabbit friend in tow. :love:

Back