• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

giant rabbit with arthritis

FarplaceRescue

Alpha Buck
\i have been asked to take in a giant french lop female 2yrs old with arthritis. it is bad in back right and is showing signs in back left. currently on metacam.
If i take this girl, does any one have advice please?
Jan

Treatment-wise: Xrays to establish extent and severity: accupuncture as well as the metacam and if you can keep her indoors and warm - it makes a huge difference.

Housing: either indoors or bedded of a lot of hay or in a shed (obviously with runs attached). No ramps etc

Other things to look out for: stasis if in pain, not being able to clean bum, build up of fur (and then poss mites) in areas she cant get to to clean. Uneven claw wear and resultant sore hocks from sitting unevenly due to pain.

Obviously some arthritic buns are fine - and only seriously arthritic will get all of these - but they are to watch out for.

thank you. if we take her she will be mainly indoors (outdoor time in run on warm days) with bunny company. she is currently on metacam (dose unknown, weight unknown)
never had a disabled bun who couldnt be rehomed..... perhaps this is the one....

My foster bun is a conti giant with arthritis, she is 3 and on 0.3ml of metacam daily. It must be working as we had binkies in the snow yesterday!! :D

Apart from that, I have a big dog bed filled with hay and a Underbed storage box filled with hay, and some vet bed off cuts so that she doesn't get sore hocks, and I monitor her weight and hocks closely (if a bun is overweight then more prone to sore hocks)

Back