• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild rabbits wee….!

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
On our walk I've noticed lots of patches of bright orange wee. To start with I assumed that there was a dog with something wrong with it but then realised that it must be rabbit wee (there were raisins with some of the patches ;))

I always assumed that orange wee happened when they ate too many carrots….what else could cause orange wee? :)

It's caused by a pigment in some plants (I can't remember the name but it starts with p), dandelions are a common one but I'm sure there are others...... I just can't name any. :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Sadly at this time of year it means they have been reduced to eating bark which is their emergency back up food in most cases . . . in wild bunnies around your area I suspect this means mainly hawthorn and whatever stands of trees have been planted as windbreaks etc. as unlikely to have loads of orchard trees.

Sadly at this time of year it means they have been reduced to eating bark which is their emergency back up food in most cases . . . in wild bunnies around your area I suspect this means mainly hawthorn and whatever stands of trees have been planted as windbreaks etc. as unlikely to have loads of orchard trees.

Poor dears! Yes, there's hawthorn everywhere. There's a lot of woodland that the snow hasn't been able to get to, so hopefully there is some food about. They have to share it with a healthy number of muntjac deer.

I don't suppose I can do much, is there. Being wild, anything I could give them would cause tummy upset.....:|

Poor dears! Yes, there's hawthorn everywhere. There's a lot of woodland that the snow hasn't been able to get to, so hopefully there is some food about. They have to share it with a healthy number of muntjac deer.

I don't suppose I can do much, is there. Being wild, anything I could give them would cause tummy upset.....:|

A hay bale liberally sprinkled or left in clumps would help them a LOT. Or if no bale just a large bag. Ditto anything natural and dried. Even some small bits sliced carrot would do not harm (on presumption one bun wouldn't scoff the lot). Most probably wouldn't eat pellets (took a while for Peasgood Nonsuch to get used to them).

They will be competing with muntjac for the bark - and as rabbits can only reach up to less of a height than muntjac they will loose out to the muntjac.

Doughnut's wee is normally always orange. When she was younger it was clear but now most of the time orange, even if she is on hay only!

A hay bale liberally sprinkled or left in clumps would help them a LOT. Or if no bale just a large bag. Ditto anything natural and dried. Even some small bits sliced carrot would do not harm (on presumption one bun wouldn't scoff the lot). Most probably wouldn't eat pellets (took a while for Peasgood Nonsuch to get used to them).

They will be competing with muntjac for the bark - and as rabbits can only reach up to less of a height than muntjac they will loose out to the muntjac.

Thanks Twigs! I'll get some hay (it'll probably have to be bagged) and put it as far into the gorse/ hawthorn as possible! ( it's very much a dog walking area so I'll have to put it as far in as possible! I suppose night will be free for them to eat it though!).
Would a mix of chopped veg be ok? I have cabbage, carrot and spinach I the fridge at the moment. (I just don't want to hurt their tummies with something they're not used to.

I go on the Heath every day so can take stuff with me every day if needed.

Thanks Twigs! I'll get some hay (it'll probably have to be bagged) and put it as far into the gorse/ hawthorn as possible! ( it's very much a dog walking area so I'll have to put it as far in as possible! I suppose night will be free for them to eat it though!).
Would a mix of chopped veg be ok? I have cabbage, carrot and spinach I the fridge at the moment. (I just don't want to hurt their tummies with something they're not used to.

I go on the Heath every day so can take stuff with me every day if needed.

I would not use the spinach and prob not the cabbage - its lovely of you to do the hay . . it really will help them.

I would not use the spinach and prob not the cabbage - its lovely of you to do the hay . . it really will help them.

Alrighty. Just the carrots and hay then! I love watching them scamper about, so a little bit extra food whilst it's frozen is nothing!

Back