• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with scent glands and nails

catherine09

Mama Doe
How do you do it?

On their check today, I've noticed that both my bunnies nails could do with a little clip (they have a concrete run which wears them down naturally but I covered the floor with carpets for winter so they have grown a bit). Also Woody's scent gland could do with cleaning out really, something I've never had to do before.

Can anyone give me some tips on how to do both? I clip my piggies nails all the time but I know where the quick is on theirs as I've done it so often!

With the scent glands, I've gathered from the internet that you need to use a cotton wool bud, but what else? Just water?

There are some videos on youtube on how to cut your rabbits nails, it depends if their nails are clear or black. The clear ones it is easier to see where to cut. One video on there shows a really good way of when your rabbit is eating and she does a couple of paws. She makes it look easy.

I take Doughnut to the vets to cut hers as she hates being picked up, although I should really try the youtube video I'm referring you to!

I have no idea about the scent gland. Wasn't aware you have to clean this!

You shouldn't need to clean scent glands, they should be doing it themselves. :) I use dog clippers for bunny nails as I find it easier.

Scent glands - a cotton wool bud and some warm water is all that's needed - sometimes you can gently pick out the blockage or alternatively tease it out with the damp bud - beware it STINKS haha! Nails as has been said - if they are black it can be scary as you can't see where the blood supply is like you can with white nails - if in doubt maybe ask the vet to do it - my vet charges about £3.

You shouldn't need to clean scent glands, they should be doing it themselves. :) I use dog clippers for bunny nails as I find it easier.

You see I thought this before, but his glands have black crusty stuff in them and it doesn't look right :? I always thought they kept them clean naturally, and it seems he always has until now

I'm sure I remember someone telling me that if you hold the base of the nail with two fingers, you are covering the quick and you can trim up to your finger. Does anyone know if this is true?

I would go to vet, but to be perfectly honest I really want to learn how to do it myself....I'm a whizz with piggy nails with practice and I'd like the confidence and ability to do the same with bunnies

They SHOULD be looking after them themselves but if they are overweight or lacking mobility they might not be able to reach.

They SHOULD be looking after them themselves but if they are overweight or lacking mobility they might not be able to reach.

Hmm....that's interesting as Woody isn't overweight and judging by the flying binkies I saw yesterday, not lacking mobility :?

I will clean it today and then just keep an eye from now on I think

Thank you for mentioning scent glands. I knew they scent under their chin, but not that they have scent glands either side of the willy. This explains alot as when we were checking and trimming the nails on our older rabbits we noticed the male had dark smelly patches either side of his willy, and we were concerned and going to check again to see if there is any change. Having read your post and searched the internet for rabbit scent glands we now know what this is and how we can tackle it. :)

Talking about trimming nails, how do people find it best to support the rabbit? Our older rabbits are more nervous and happy to stay still, sometimes we can even lay them on their backs which makes it so much easier to see and do, but our younger rabbits that are more used to being handled don't stay still long enough and won't settle on their backs either.

Last edited:
Back