• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Happy bunnies boarding, nr earls colne, Colchester - anyone know of them?

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Hello!

As above - has anyone heard of/visited/used these guys?

http://www.happybunniesholidays.co.uk/Index.html (this doesn't seem to be updated, I found reference elsewhere to a new 8x6 bunny room and 7x5 shed)

I'd be interested in any views if anyone has been there - please pm me if you'd prefer :D

Last edited:
Don't know it, but just had a look and they reckon a 6ft hutch and 6ft by 4ft run is 'extra large' and use shavings, so I would be a little cautious!

Yeah, those things had put me off a bit too! And the offer of runs on grass - although she does say runs can be on concrete if preferred.

I'm just wondering whether the new accommodation signals a shift and it might be a bit better now. The problem I have is that there isn't anywhere even half decent round here, and I will need somewhere for occasional overnighters where it's just too far to take them all the way round the m25 to Helen! Historically for very short trips I've either left them at home with my hubby or a neighbour popping in (and Lou popping round to check and do meds!) but now Heather has dry eye and needs drops 3 times a day it's getting much more difficult to do that. This one says she is a vn who runs rabbit clinics so in theory she should be able to do eye drops on an uncooperative bunny...

I'd make an appointment and go and see for yourself. I'm headachey so perhaps I misread it, but does it say shavings for rabbits or in general? As I read it she just meant in general so maybe it's for other pets?

I'd make an appointment and go and see for yourself. I'm headachey so perhaps I misread it, but does it say shavings for rabbits or in general? As I read it she just meant in general so maybe it's for other pets?

Shavings for guinea pigs and rabbits, I read it as. All smaller pets should have their own bedding brought with them.

What about Caroline, or is she a bit too far?

Yeah a bit too far just for one night or so. I'm also not sure how Bertram would react to being surrounded by so many other bunnies, he can be very over excitable and humpy and I fear that the proximity they'd be to other bunnies there might be too much for him.

I also read it as shavings for bunnies unless you say you prefer a different substrate. I do sometimes wonder whether people word things like that because that's what most of their clients expect and will think normal; I guess the only way to find out is to go visit. Not in this weather, though :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah a bit too far just for one night or so. I'm also not sure how Bertram would react to being surrounded by so many other bunnies, he can be very over excitable and humpy and I fear that the proximity they'd be to other bunnies there might be too much for him.

I also read it as shavings for bunnies unless you say you prefer a different substrate. I do sometimes wonder whether people word things like that because that's what most of their clients expect and will think normal; I guess the only way to find out is to go visit. Not in this weather, though :lol:

It would also keep the costs down, wouldn't it?

Shame I haven't got a hutch sitting here ready, or it would be so easy for you to bring them here for short breaks. Cassie's needing lots of care in her old age, so I already can't go out for many hours at a time, so the frequent eye drops wouldn't be a problem (if I was able to do it, of course! My bunny-wrestling skills are a bit rusty!)

edit: I can currently offer dog crate space in a very cold conservatory! :lol:

Last edited:

That's what I was thinking. The majority of rabbit owners have probably never heard of megazorb, carefresh etc and might think to themselves "I haven't a clue what that is, so I'm not boarding my bunny there". The same with the hutches - a 6x2 hutch is still very much 'extra large' compared to a lot of the hutches you can buy & it doesn't really sell as well to the general public if you were just to say "My hutches are an adequate size".

I actually think it sounds promising & wouldn't read too much into the wording. She's a member of the RWAF too, and it's definitely worth checking out in person.

Shame I haven't got a hutch sitting here ready, or it would be so easy for you to bring them here for short breaks. Cassie's needing lots of care in her old age, so I already can't go out for many hours at a time, so the frequent eye drops wouldn't be a problem (if I was able to do it, of course! My bunny-wrestling skills are a bit rusty!)

edit: I can currently offer dog crate space in a very cold conservatory! :lol:

Well I do currently have a spare happyhutch and run which I know fits in my car :lol: ;) how do you fancy having furry guests next weekend...

Well I do currently have a spare happyhutch and run which I know fits in my car :lol: ;) how do you fancy having furry guests next weekend...

Gawd, do you trust me to do it? ;) Hope there will be (a) no snow (b) OH without the lergy by then!

But of course I trust you :love: Would you really have them? :shock: (you can say no!) I'm graduating in York on Saturday, dad and I were going to drive up Friday night and drive straight back and be home by Saturday lunchtime, but given the weather we've decided to go by train...and the times of the cheap trains means I'll be away from 10am Friday until 8pm Saturday which is too long to leave her without drops. Even though Keith is home, he doesn't stand a hope of even catching her, let alone getting eye drops into her :lol: :roll:

If ever in doubt about where your bunnies/guineas will be boarding always go and visit first. Ask as many questions as you like and if you feel confident that the proprietor knows how to look after these small ones PROPERLY then your furry family should be alright.

Never feel intimidated about what questions to ask and whether or not you are being too picky.

Best of luck.

Yeah I wouldn't dream of leaving them somewhere I hadn't checked out in advance - it's just too easy to create a plausible sounding website and photos which look nice! I went to view one place a couple of years back and the hutches were a lovely size, but when I asked the woman what she used to disinfect between clients, she couldn't tell me, but she said that it was blue and definitely killed everything. I backed sloooowly away :lol:

I've rung and left a message - only one way to find out if it's any good really and that's to have a chat and go and have a look!

Back