• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is a rabbit bite bad?

Conejitos

Young Bun
My female dwarf rabbit bit me I don't know if that's a good thing my little Bunny was near her cage and she was trying to bite him but I blocked it and instead she bit my finger really hard left it red and it hurts! is it bad for a rabbit to bite you? Do I have to take this serious or is it fine?

Did the bite bleed? I've been bitten before and it has bled, but I've cleaned it with antiseptic solution and put a plaster on it and it was fine. If the bite is bad, or if it could be infected I would go to the doctor, but like I say, I've been bit loads, and never been concerned.

If you get in the way of a rabbit trying to bite something you're likely to get bitten, it's like walking into oncoming traffic :lol: I'd suggest keeping your rabbits away from each other if they aren't bonded. You'll avoid a lot of rabbit-to-rabbit confrontations and several bites to yourself!

Your rabbit probably didn't mean to bite you as she was lunging for your other rabbit. I hope it didn't hurt too much, I know rabbit bites can be very painful.

I would thoroughly wash a bite (on a person) with soap and water as soon as it happens. Then keep an eye on it and see a doctor if it looks infected or swells up the next day.

If your rabbit had been bitten as hard, it would probably need several vet trips and injections every few days. Rabbit bites on another rabbit are nasty and abscess easily. Rabbit abscesses are best avoided as they take ages to treat successfully.

Please keep your rabbits safe from each other. They will attack until neutered and properly introduced to each other on neutral territory.

My female dwarf rabbit bit me I don't know if that's a good thing my little Bunny was near her cage and she was trying to bite him but I blocked it and instead she bit my finger really hard left it red and it hurts! is it bad for a rabbit to bite you? Do I have to take this serious or is it fine?

If you are worrying about bacteria and things, rabbit bites are nothing to worry about. Just clean any rubbish out and stick a plaster over it. I got the end of my finger nommed by a rabbit and although it needed stitches, the doc said I didn't need to take anything because rabbits are herbivores and don't carry as dangerous bacteria as animals who eat meat :wave:

Alright everyone thank you so much the bite seems to be healing but... She bit me again my hand was in the way when she was smelling her daughter and trying to hump her :/ but because her daughter didn't let her she bit her/ me :(

Did the bite bleed? I've been bitten before and it has bled, but I've cleaned it with antiseptic solution and put a plaster on it and it was fine. If the bite is bad, or if it could be infected I would go to the doctor, but like I say, I've been bit loads, and never been concerned.

Yes the bite make my finger bleed a lot but it's healed now. But she bit me again today (n) :(

Yes the bite make my finger bleed a lot but it's healed now. But she bit me again today (n) :(

She is obviously very hormonal and showing typical hormonal/territorial behaviour

Her quality of life would be improved if she were to be spayed. She may never become a cuddly Rabbit, but she wont be a slave to her hormones. All in all a happier Doe.

Also, if her daughter is post weaning age you may need to separate them as the likelihood of fighting is great, especially when her daughter reaches sexual maturity. Getting them both spayed would mean they could probably remain together.

She is obviously very hormonal and showing typical hormonal/territorial behaviour

Her quality of life would be improved if she were to be spayed. She may never become a cuddly Rabbit, but she wont be a slave to her hormones. All in all a happier Doe.

Also, if her daughter is post weaning age you may need to separate them as the likelihood of fighting is great, especially when her daughter reaches sexual maturity. Getting them both spayed would mean they could probably remain together.

:thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

Back