• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Giant house bunny... Best decision ever! - Extra pics of Reggie Bun

Schez

Mama Doe
Reggie came home with us at the end of December. I had lost my two Flemish giants previously and was still feeling a little heart broken. It was planned for Reggie to be an outside bun, but with a little persuasion, hubby agreed that I could make it work that he would be a house bun. :D

It was the best decision I have made. And Reggie proves it time and time again. I had heard that rabbits could develop a strong bond with their human slaves :)lol:) but it still hasn't prepared me for the sheer joy that he gives when we progress a little further.

He follows me around the house, takes food/treats from my hand, runs around my feet (he grunts softly- is this normal?!) we have a lovely goodnight routine, he flumps next to me and then snuggles into me... As I'm typing this he is lying next to my feet.. ;) tonight I sung him a song and he fell asleep.. :oops: :)

His temperament means that my children (well supervised) can give him cuddles and strokes too. :D

I am always learning with Reggie, from making toys to general bunny research that benefits all my buns and makes me a better bunny slave, erm, owner...
Tonight I learnt that bunnies can get hiccups... Never before have I heard a bunny with hiccups... :lol:

I think I will always need a house bunny thanks to Reggie. . . :love:

Last edited:
Grunting and circling/following you can be a hormonal thing. Is he neutered? How old is he? My bun started doing this and then progressed to humping my slippers! Getting him neutered stopped this behaviour and made him less frustrated.

I was the same as you 5 years ago when I decided to get a housebun. I was completely infatuated with him! I would watch him for ages just doing bunny things and learning about his behaviour, it was a massive learning curve and I was quite amazed at what was really involved in the care of bunnies. Anybody tells you they are easy to look after have no idea about bunnies :lol: It was the best decision I made, I still have him and also adopted a friend for him, they both live in my bedroom and I could never imagine life without them. :love:

Grunting and circling/following you can be a hormonal thing. Is he neutered? How old is he? My bun started doing this and then progressed to humping my slippers! Getting him neutered stopped this behaviour and made him less frustrated.

I was the same as you 5 years ago when I decided to get a housebun. I was completely infatuated with him! I would watch him for ages just doing bunny things and learning about his behaviour, it was a massive learning curve and I was quite amazed at what was really involved in the care of bunnies. Anybody tells you they are easy to look after have no idea about bunnies :lol: It was the best decision I made, I still have him and also adopted a friend for him, they both live in my bedroom and I could never imagine life without them. :love:

Awwwwww! I would love Reggie to live in the bedroom but that is where hubby draws the line... ;) :lol:

Looking at the calendar, Reggie has just turned 14 weeks old, so he's about ready isn't he? We are definitely having him neutured for his health and happiness. ;)
I also want to find him a friend; he needs a bunny wife to snuggle with :D - we wil be moving soon so we need to wait until then... But I am a believer in fate, reckon when we move, a perfect bunny match for Reggie will become available.
My friends tell me why don't I just get a cat... :shock: :shock: :shock: They don't get the "rabbit thing" or why I go the lengths I do for them. :roll:

I totally agree with it being a huge learning curve, and I've worried so much as well; it's worth it though for all you get back. :thumb: :love:

I got Fiver done at about 5 months old. Have a chat to your vets about when they feel it's best to get him done as some will do it earlier. If you ever do decide to get him a friend I would definitely go to a rescue and take him on bunny dates! That way the bun will already be vaccinated and spayed and Reggie can choose his own wife for the best possible bond. Rescues are so full at the moment that any would appreciate you adopting a bun from them and a lot will also help bond your bunnies as it can be quite scary! :shock:

I totally agree that what you get back from bunnies is completely worth the worry, expense and overall NORTINESS! :lol:

Stu used to circle pre neuter I loved it, and soft grunt sooo cute, since he has been done he doesnt do it, he has done it once but it's been a few months now so he doesn't do it now:cry: and I'm quite upset, even tho I know it was best for him:oops:

I got Fiver done at about 5 months old. Have a chat to your vets about when they feel it's best to get him done as some will do it earlier. If you ever do decide to get him a friend I would definitely go to a rescue and take him on bunny dates! That way the bun will already be vaccinated and spayed and Reggie can choose his own wife for the best possible bond. Rescues are so full at the moment that any would appreciate you adopting a bun from them and a lot will also help bond your bunnies as it can be quite scary! :shock:

I totally agree that what you get back from bunnies is completely worth the worry, expense and overall NORTINESS! :lol:

:lol: agreed!^^

Thank you for taking the time to share some advice, really appreciate. :D

We are taking Harry to the vets tomorrow to be neutured :shock: (hoping to bond him with my Rex girl Daisy-Belle, she's not having the best of times lately... :? ) so we will ask about Reggie as well... :D
I definitely want to offer a rescue bun a home with us, most of my buns are kinda rescues... Not from a centre but from people who needed it. My lions were gonna be "taken back to pet shop" and Harry was on the RU for rehoming. The only bun who was from a shop (garden centre :evil:) was Stanleigh... I never would have considered it, but both heart and gut wouldn't let me leave her there. :oops:

I don't know if rescues in our area will help with bonding, but now you mention it, I will be definitely asking about it.:thumb:

Ps, how's Fiver? He's prob one of my most fav buns on the RU, your pair of buns are goooooooorgeous! :love::love::love:

Is that Reggie in your signature? He is beautiful, looks like my Hattie :love: I love giants too.

Yeah, it's my Reggie in the signature... it's not the best pic/signature but I'm trying to put together a better one with a pics of them all... Some members signatures are amazing! I need to find out how to do it.... :lol: ;)
I was just checking Hattie on yours... They do look similar! :D I think I will always need a giant bun in my life now. :love:

Stu used to circle pre neuter I loved it, and soft grunt sooo cute, since he has been done he doesnt do it, he has done it once but it's been a few months now so he doesn't do it now:cry: and I'm quite upset, even tho I know it was best for him:oops:

Awww.. :( I know, the grunt is sooooooo soft and cute... It usually means he wants me to get a treat/he wants extra hay... Of course you miss it, totally get that, it was part of his personality.. But I bet he does lots more cute things to make up for it :D I'm gonna see what my vet recommends for Reggie though I am really worried how it will change him. Will it effect his bond with me etc? *worried face*

Hattie as a baby

197156_10150132879465857_3764355_n_zps18ac4a8b.jpg

Teenager

255902_10150225277090857_730825856_7849388_3448405_o.jpg

Fully grown

P1050342.jpg

Can we have more pics of yout boy please??? :D:D:D:D

Hattie as a baby

197156_10150132879465857_3764355_n_zps18ac4a8b.jpg

Teenager

255902_10150225277090857_730825856_7849388_3448405_o.jpg

Fully grown

P1050342.jpg

Can we have more pics of yout boy please??? :D:D:D:D

O.m.g.... :shock: they could be bro and sis!!! Hattie isn't from Wales is she? :D she's absolutely stunning.. What is she like? What kind of characteristics etc? :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?374032-My-Reggie-Raymond-(More-Pics-added)

^^ this a thread I posted when I was having a squeeeeeeeeeee moment about Reggie.... :oops: there are some pics there... I'm just on my way out and using ipad, but will post some more recent pics later... :love:

Doughnut still circles my feet in excitment of a treat as she has been spayed and sometimes makes her happy noise!

Your rabbit looks very cute and cuddly.

Doughnut still circles my feet in excitment of a treat as she has been spayed and sometimes makes her happy noise!

Your rabbit looks very cute and cuddly.

Thank you, he really is a snuggle bun... I know it depends on individual buns as to how they react to neutering but I hope Reggie stays the same.. I'm glad Doughnut still does her circles and happy noises, it's part of character... Is Doughnut a cuddly bun? :D

O.m.g.... :shock: they could be bro and sis!!! Hattie isn't from Wales is she? :D she's absolutely stunning.. What is she like? What kind of characteristics etc? :D

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?374032-My-Reggie-Raymond-(More-Pics-added)

^^ this a thread I posted when I was having a squeeeeeeeeeee moment about Reggie.... :oops: there are some pics there... I'm just on my way out and using ipad, but will post some more recent pics later... :love:

Hehe thank you. Didn't want to hijack your thread but don't know anyone else with a yellow giant :)

She came from Nottingham. I traveled miles to get her haha.

She's a right madam! Typical firey red head I say. Lovely friendly girl but knows her pen mind, can be quite stroppy - for example when I'm cleaning she hates me in the shed and will grab my jeans bottoms and tug on them or pick up the shovel and throw it out the way that sort of thing. She's quite highly strung, the tiniest thing will make her jump but then within seconds curiosity gets the better of her and she'll be out nosying again. My boy is much more relaxed. What's Reggie like?

Thank you, he really is a snuggle bun... I know it depends on individual buns as to how they react to neutering but I hope Reggie stays the same.. I'm glad Doughnut still does her circles and happy noises, it's part of character... Is Doughnut a cuddly bun? :D

Not really. She jumps on my lap for treats and is happy to be stroked. I do get lots of kisses tho which are cute.

I regard to neutering, I find that the behaviour they show before they've been done is quite obsessive and agitated because they're full of testosterone and can't do anything with it. So they buzz and circle etc. When they've been neutered their real personality can come through. They still follow and beg for treats but it's not quite a fevered if that makes sense?

Back