• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dilemma with a place to sleep! I'm feeling totally paranoid with this weather

Jasmine1

New Kit
So today I re-arranged the shed, and moved things around for the bunnies, raised their new house-thingey onto a shelf etc. The house is basically a big heavy wooden box (which is a replacement of one which was ruined) which is basically incomplete (dont ask-the house is a complete building site at the moment!), so it's not for 4 complete sides...if that makes sense :S. Im worried because they're snuggled in there with shredded newspaper and i'm just scared they're going to get cold!! I would like a plastic one-because i think plastic will hold the warmth in better? But all of the plastic ones I find are too small, as they would like to snuggle together, not have one separate house each. I have been recommended to use a hutch full of straw inside their shed-but there's not really any more space in there! What should I do? What are your bunnies sleeping in right now? :cry: Im just so worried. I don't have a snuggle safe or anything like that, and their shed hasn't yet been insulated properly!!!

Rabbits were built for weather like this :) they're very hardy animals. Their fur is thick for cold weather. they might feel cold to the touch but if you feel under the fur it stays warm. If you stick your hand between 2 snuggled bunnies it's very warm too. My pairs shed isnt insulated either and they refuse to snuggle into anything. Their litter tray is their 'hideaway'. It's an indoor cage with its top and sides covered.

My rabbits sleep where they want to, not where I want them to unfortunately. I want them to go into the litter tray full of hay but they sit on top of the litter tray together.

They'll be fine. I went out tonight at about 10 to feed and check my rabbits' water and my girl was sat outside in the run in the snow! Absolutely not bothered at all. if they're cold, they'll snuggle, my rabbits hardly use their crate in their shed even though its warm. They prefer to be outside.

if it drops too below freezing i just pop a snugglesafe in their crate and they have the choice to go in the warm if they want it.

I've just looked out on mine (1.30am and iv just been out and it's freeeeeezing!!) and Summer and Skye r just sat on the bare wood floor in the open part of their hutch and Heidi and Dash r sat on top of the hay in their litter tray, also in the open part of their hutch, all looking perfectly happy and content! Neither have snuggle safes or any particular insulation, just lots of straw and hay and wind/rain covers. Iv given up worrying (mostly!) all u can do is provide for them, what they do with what u provide is up to them! They'll instinctively do what they need to do to keep warm but they seem to be able to withstand extreme cold without batting an eyelid :D

Back