• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar chewing when not in crate?

JackieS

Warren Scout
Axl and rose each have a crate with puppy panels attached....they free range bunny proofed
Room (as best as possible!) three times a day when we're able to supervise....but I've noticed that Axl is insistent on bar chewing - but ONLY when he's free ranging! And generally it's on a piece of puppy
Panel that we have used to block off a small area
Of the room containing wires.

I've read about bar chewing as a sign of frustration at being confined and
Not exercised enough but i don't think that's the problem as he doesn't do it any other time....
He likes to dig so I've filled a litter tray with hay and buried food in
It for him to dig, we bought a tunnel as he likes those too, and he has numerous toys too....

Any ideas?

P.s am typing on phone so sorry for random punctuation and spelling errors!

It can be a sign of frustration, but in this case I think he might just be being a nuisance. If he has plenty of freedom and excercise it can only be one thing:

He wants in at those wires and wants access to the forbidden corner!

I piled up books and various objects to stop my bunnies from geting at the wires behind the TV and that was always the first place they went without fail. They tried jumping, climbing, digging, chewing...the works!

I think your rabbit is just curious and trying to get in about it. I don't think it's anything to worry about, unless the chewing is excessive and then you could try blocking it off with something more solid so he can't see the offending area, or provide some food/hay nearby to distract him.

I think he is just being a little scamp.

Best of luck

Clara

I've noticed that Rolo does this too, he jumps inside his pen and chews at the bars even though the door is open and he has the whole of the downstairs to explore! He can be a funny boy sometimes! xx

One of mine will chew one little bar in the run, every time he goes out. It's always the same piece of bar he goes for and only lasts a few seconds.

Pudding does this too. Entire living room and open cage but he'll go inside and gnaw at a bar :lol:

Pudding does this too. Entire living room and open cage but he'll go inside and gnaw at a bar :lol:

they are funny creatures aren't they!! Today we let him out, he ran around and then ran back into the crate to bite the bar! Silly boy!
He did have fun playing in the snow i bought inside though :D

Mine do this for attention! If you reward them when they do it then the will carry on so I would just try to ignore them and he should get bored of doing it.

Back