• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor rabbits are offensive..

Aly&Poppy<3

Wise Old Thumper
Apparently! :lol:

This woman/girl whatever on instagram added me and went through loads of pictures, liking the rabbit ones.

She loved that Poppy was indoors and her bio is how to hold a rabbits properly and good hay. I imagine she is a fan of indoor rabbits. She saw Donny and Lola were outside and the 'tone' of her posting instantly changed and she's stopped liking photos now :lol::lol:

I said they were in a shed and run set up and Poppy and Leo were my indoor rabbits.. Pfft! :lol:

I actually think I know who you're talking about. She instantly commented on all of my Instagram photos of Pippin saying is she okay? Why is she poorly? (the caption was 'poorly bunny'). Then gave me a paragraph about rabbit care with the very basics and things that I obviously knew. I understand it'd be good for people who aren't treating their rabbits right but I couldn't help but be really offended and got rather angry :lol:

I actually think I know who you're talking about. She instantly commented on all of my Instagram photos of Pippin saying is she okay? Why is she poorly? (the caption was 'poorly bunny'). Then gave me a paragraph about rabbit care with the very basics and things that I obviously knew. I understand it'd be good for people who aren't treating their rabbits right but I couldn't help but be really offended and got rather angry :lol:

She has commented on Poppy's pictures again with loads of hearts and things, the back to probably the worst picture I have of Donny and Lola eating hay in the shed and it's was "oh I thought they were inside?" Then "don't they get cold?" I said nope, they have their natural insulation as well as each other and explained that while they were cold to the touch (in cold weather) their bodies were really warm!

I'm hoping she doesn't comment on Donny and Lola anymore, I've had enough of people today and someone telling me I shouldn't keep rabbits outside and how to look after them will tip me over the edge!

Last edited:
Folk like that irritate me a bit, there are good and bad points to having rabbits inside and outside. :roll:

She has commented on Poppy's pictures again with loads of hearts and things, the back to probably the worst picture I have of Donny and Lola eating hay in the shed and it's was "oh I thought they were inside?" Then "don't they get cold?" I said nope, they have their natural insulation as well as each other and explained that while they were cold to the touch (in cold weather) their bodies were really warm!

I'm hoping she doesn't comment on Donny and Lola anymore, I've had enough of people today and someone telling me I shouldn't keep rabbits outside and how to look after them will tip me over the edge!

She was more rude to me, I tried to respect her opinion but couldn't!
Ah I know how you feel, it's very frustrating. Well you know you do the absolute best for your buns and I know you do so don't let them get you down!

Folk like that irritate me a bit, there are good and bad points to having rabbits inside and outside. :roll:

When Donny and Lola came inside after their neuter/spay they were nightmares.. House was smelly and they just made a mess! They are truly outdoor rabbits, I could tell they hated it inside. Poppy on the other hand is so much better after being brought inside. Leo also. She seems to be "well this is my opinion and yours doesn't seem to match mine so it's completely wrong and I'll let you know that"

I don't like online confrontation, but they are my rabbits :lol:

She was more rude to me, I tried to respect her opinion but couldn't!
Ah I know how you feel, it's very frustrating. Well you know you do the absolute best for your buns and I know you do so don't let them get you down!

I know, she can keep her rabbits how she wants but I have the best of both! Indoor and outdoor and that's exactly how the rabbits like it, which is the most important thing. I read the signs and their behaviour and this is how it is staying :lol:

When Donny and Lola came inside after their neuter/spay they were nightmares.. House was smelly and they just made a mess! They are truly outdoor rabbits, I could tell they hated it inside. Poppy on the other hand is so much better after being brought inside. Leo also. She seems to be "well this is my opinion and yours doesn't seem to match mine so it's completely wrong and I'll let you know that"

I don't like online confrontation, but they are my rabbits :lol:

My Honey hates being indoors too, also she can't do this indoors.:roll:

honey_digging002.jpg

Whilst working at the shelter, I had to pull someone up for saying to a potential owner that 'it's not fair to keep rabbits outside'. Thankfully, I overheard and was able to jump in and tell this lady that actually, outdoor buns can be perfectly happy, given the right setup :roll:

My two were house bunnies, and I loved having them indoors, I really did! :love: However, since they've moved outdoors (they were way too destructive!) into their shed, I can honestly say they're happier for it...they have a much better setup outside, and love their free range time in the garden :)

Is this person based in the UK? I'm wondering if they live in a particularly cold country.

Is this person based in the UK? I'm wondering if they live in a particularly cold country.

No idea, profile is private and while they've added me, they won't accept my request so I can't see anything.

Edit: this is on her bio thing - www.rabbit.org and it has a lot of American places mentioned. I have a GB flag in my bio so surely a country difference should be taken into account :?

Last edited:
No idea, profile is private and while they've added me, they won't accept my request so I can't see anything.

Edit: this is on her bio thing - www.rabbit.org and it has a lot of American places mentioned. I have a GB flag in my bio so surely a country difference should be taken into account :?

I'm pretty sure she's American.

I couldn't ever have outside rabbits. I know in my head they're safe and happy etc, but my heart would break every time the wind blew a bit :lol: Wouldn't ever tell someone they're wrong or it's cruel, though. Long as they have everything they need it doesn't matter where they are.

I have both and they all seem happy, Rabbits naturaly live outside and personaly I think thats where they should live but having said that we have harvest indoors because she was only a baby and wouldnt have had a winter coat but I am loving having her indoors and i am hoping to never put her outside

I'm pretty sure she's American.

Yeah, bit odd! I don't go around telling people what they should do with their rabbits :lol:

I couldn't ever have outside rabbits. I know in my head they're safe and happy etc, but my heart would break every time the wind blew a bit :lol: Wouldn't ever tell someone they're wrong or it's cruel, though. Long as they have everything they need it doesn't matter where they are.

Exactly, Donny and Lola love the wind.. rain.. snow.. :roll::lol: They're happy and healthy though which are the most important things, they were unhappy indoors. Hardly moved.. whereas Poppy and Leo are always on the move being indoors and are very happy. Getting under feet etc :roll: :lol:

Yeah exactly. I hope you don't mind that I just followed you on instagram after a bit of casual stalking :lol:

Exactly, Donny and Lola love the wind.. rain.. snow.. :roll::lol: They're happy and healthy though which are the most important things, they were unhappy indoors. Hardly moved.. whereas Poppy and Leo are always on the move being indoors and are very happy. Getting under feet etc :roll: :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's Alfie's dream to be a pair of shoes. He's always where I'm trying to be.

Yeah might be a country difference. Most people here keep buns indoors since a good portion of the country is too hot in the summer and very cold in the winter so some people automatically think outdoor buns are cruel.

I prefer keeping indoor buns but I'm not against either.

I'm in the subtropics so it's hot pretty much year round, with occasional winter nights that dip into the 30's. That sudden change in temps is too much for them and they haven't got a winter coat to stay warm. I imagine if i keep outdoors rabbits again (which I'd like to do in the future with a colony of rabbits in a huge chainlink dog kennel enclosure) I'd have to have a heated shelter inside the enclosure. In the past when I had outdoor buns we brought them indoors on cold nights and in the summer they were in the shade, had a fan on them sometimes plus frozen 2 liter bottles.

Back