• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I toilet train snowy?

I'm thinking about buying a litter tray thing for Snowy, how would I make sure she uses the it:)

With mine I just put the litter and bedding in an under bed storage box and left them to it, they didn't have ahy anywhere else other than the storage box, that way they had to eat hay in the box which would lead them on to pooing and weeing in it.

Didnt take long for them to learn and now it is used all the time

Put some of her poos and weed on bedding in the tray, they usually get the hang of it pretty quickly. I use under bed storage boxes, you get them in tesco for about £4.

She might take a bit longer to catch on with her not being spayed, but keep at it.

When the new stuff gets here you could just fill the cage with hay, or have the zz1 base in the pen, line it with newspaper and fill that with hay. I would do both tbh. I managed to litter train Poppy at 4 years old and she wasn't spayed. She is now, but still does the odd poo out of the tray (like any other bun) and also a few wees (in one specific corner) so I have a few puppy pads down for her :)

The zz1 is a better size for a litter tray as cat litter trays have low sides and when rabbits wee they lift their bum up so it goes over the edge and makes a right mess!

When the new stuff gets here you could just fill the cage with hay, or have the zz1 base in the pen, line it with newspaper and fill that with hay. I would do both tbh. I managed to litter train Poppy at 4 years old and she wasn't spayed. She is now, but still does the odd poo out of the tray (like any other bun) and also a few wees (in one specific corner) so I have a few puppy pads down for her :)

The zz1 is a better size for a litter tray as cat litter trays have low sides and when rabbits wee they lift their bum up so it goes over the edge and makes a right mess!

My brain isn't working but the cage i'm getting can fit a cat litter tray in it?!

My brain isn't working but the cage i'm getting can fit a cat litter tray in it?!

They still have low sides though, when rabbits wee they lift their tails up and in any usual cat litter tray the wee will go over the sides. Poppy has one as it's the only one that fits in her box but I have to put puppy pads under it and change those every day as they get sodden with wee. Leo has a storage box and the high sides means he can't wee over the edge. Donny and Lola have an 80cm cage for their litter tray and that also has high sides.
:)

They still have low sides though, when rabbits wee they lift their tails up and in any usual cat litter tray the wee will go over the sides. Poppy has one as it's the only one that fits in her box but I have to put puppy pads under it and change those every day as they get sodden with wee. Leo has a storage box and the high sides means he can't wee over the edge. Donny and Lola have an 80cm cage for their litter tray and that also has high sides.
:)

I'm so excited for it to arrive :D
Hate waiting though xx

I'm so excited for it to arrive :D
Hate waiting though xx

I hated waiting for my delivery too :lol: now it's here I'm excited to put the hamster in but need to wait for him to wake up first :roll:

I would line the new cage with newspaper and then have some towels/blankets on top and then if you wanted, put the litter tray in the corner and fill with hay. That way if she does pee over the edge the stuff underneath is easily washed:) I think it comes with a hay rack too, so put that next to the litter tray too as rabbits usually toilet while they're eating :)

I hated waiting for my delivery too :lol: now it's here I'm excited to put the hamster in but need to wait for him to wake up first :roll:

I would line the new cage with newspaper and then have some towels/blankets on top and then if you wanted, pit the litter tray in the corner and fill with hay. That way if she does pee over the edge the stuff underneath is easily washed:)

Good idea, think i'm off into town next week so shall get another cat litter tray :D
I have no idea how big it's going to be tbh :)

The cage also has a front door in a ramp style so I would find something to cover that as I would hate for Snowy's feet to get stuck in the bars! You could wrap a tea towel or blanket around or maybe an old pillow case :thumb:

Sounds huge, i'm sure Snowy will be ecstatic in it :D

If you are average height, to stand the cage on it's end it will come up to somewhere between elbow and shoulder height or if you have any A4 sheets of paper - lay 4 of them long side end to end as each of them is 30cm so between them they will be 120cm.

A fairly standard litter tray is probably only about 30 - 40 cm wide x maybe about 50/60cm so will probably take up about 1/4 of the cage.

I also found cat litter trays not deep enough ( I now use the cat litter trays for plants in the greenhouse :lol:) I use underbed storage boxes for the buns, and a solid plant propagator base (with no holes) for the piggies. It's higher than a cat litter tray but not as big as an underbed storage box and fits perfectly in one end of my 3 ft ferplast...so ideal for piggies!

To litter train a rabbit, you simply find the spot they wee the most, and put a litter tray there! Put some litter and some hay in it and they should take to it instantly. Of course then you just have to reduce the weeing in other areas, thats a bit more tricky. I keep hay only in/above the litter tray until they are litter trained, as they often wee and poo whilst they eat.

I don't know if it will be too tall but the corner litter trays are very good too. My rabbits free range 24/7 so their cage is entirely takn up with two little trays as they don't use it for anything other than pooing....the corner one has no over the edge accidents, but the oblong cat one has a few!! :lol:

Back