• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

A second opinion please?

nicki

Warren Scout
Hello everyone,
Hello,
I haven't posted for a while since I lost my beloved Alice last summer after a long gastric illness. Since then, I have adopted an amazing rescue bunny Libby through the forum and bonded her with Oliver. I do regularly keep an eye on the forum.

Libby had an episode of tummy pain this morning, grinding her teeth and pressing her tummy to the floor. I gave her metacam, infacol and syringed warm water and she was fortunately lively, eating and producing droppings again within 20 minutes. I have since given her fibreplex. I would have obviously immediately taken her to my vets if she hadn't improved. The minor roads around me are very hilly and dodgy in the snow.

My thoughts are that Oliver is moulting so it could be from grooming him (He had been the one concerning me) an episode of wind or a tooth issue, the cold could also be a factor although the concrete shed is reasonably warm and very well insulated with a heater out there.

I will obviously monitor her closely over the weekend as the source of pain could reoccurr?
Any thoughts - should I act preventatively with pain relief or monitor closely?

Just a bit of reassurance needed
Nicki:)

I can't offer that much advice I'm afraid by my vet always says that fur build up makes a gut problem a lot worse, but it doesn't actually cause it, so it could be that there is a small issue that's being exacerbated by eaten fur. The pellets will always give a clue as to how furry they are... Good luck! x

Hi. I would monitor extremely closely and if in any doubt a trip to the vet would be in order.

Hoping that this is just an isolated incident and Libby is back to normal very soon.

Best of luck.

Back