• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Eating staw rather than hay!

JackieS

Warren Scout
Have Axl a full clean out today and stuffed his little house (an upside down storage box) with straw instead of hay like I usually do as our dining room doesn't have a radiator so can get quite chilly) and then gave him an bunch of fresh new hay to eat....he's currently sitting in his house eating the straw!

Abit won't kill him will it?!

Hmm, its got no nutritional value at all but I am unsure if it'll cause gut problems. I daresay it wont do much harm a little bit but if he was to eat it all the time, well thats not so good

Fee xxx

So long as he doesn't gorge himself.

I think straw does have some nutritional value and if it is oat straw animals tend to find it rather moorish!

Hmm, its got no nutritional value at all but I am unsure if it'll cause gut problems. I daresay it wont do much harm a little bit but if he was to eat it all the time, well thats not so good

Fee xxx

He only ate a couple of strands and then when back to the hay - hes revisited it a few times and had abit of a nibble - so maybe it's because it's new lol

One of my buns eats the straw (or just chops it up) every time i change the bedding. I think it may be temper though :lol:

Back