• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do do with a lone rabbit

FudgeTort

Wise Old Thumper
I have a feeling Brian isn't going to be with us much longer.

We decided many months ago that we wouldn't get any more animals for several reasons. Plus I've always said my rabbits are so unique I wouldn't want more.

So Brian is on his own in a big shed and run. I can't have him as a house rabbit as we rent and there is no space big enough for him. It seems cruel to leave him outdoors on his own without a friend in that big shed.

It's far too early to make a decision yet but I'm just thinking ahead.

I don't envy you, it must be a very difficult thing to think about.

But whatever you decide, it will be the right decision and no-one will judge you for it xx

Thank you : )
The thought of rehoming him makes me feel sick but I wouldn't want him on his own and unhappy.
It's so hard and horrible to have to think about.

I'm facing the same decision... It's hard - but you have to do what you feel is best for him :(

A really tough decision and I do feel for you.
I've been giving thought to what I will do when I am faced with having a lone rabbit - at the moment I am tending to think I will bring him or her indoors, but I really don't like the idea of a lonely rabbit and wonder whether it would be cruel to bring an outdoor rabbit to live inside.

Thanks everyone. We have talked about this time arriving but nothing prepares you for it.

I'm facing the same decision... It's hard - but you have to do what you feel is best for him :(

I'm so sorry. I hadn't realised. Hope you're ok. Do you know what you're going to do?

Oh I really feel for you :( what a horrid descision. If it were me I old wait until spring/summer before making a descision, some buns do very well on their own. Of course if you feel Brian would be unhappy alone then that is a different matter. But I have had a survivor of a pair thrive after being left on his own. He really came out of his shell :p but he was a housebuun which will make a difference.

You love him, no descision made with love can be bad xxx

this is the decision I had to make for Alvin when Holly was critically ill... I couldnt have another rabbit for my own sanity so when Lou offered to take Holly back instead of me getting her PTS I asked if she would take Alvin too.... my heart is still broken but Holly is still alive and Alvin will never be alone.

I would advise anyone to put thier rabbit first, if it has had a partner it needs another friend ASAP or the owner should consider letting the rabbit go to someone who is willing to let it have a partner...my views are very black and white on this with no grey areas as I had to make the decision myself and this is why I will never ever have rabbits again :cry: :cry::cry:

Lou told me she pleaded with someone to give up thier rabbit who had lost a partner instead of keeping it single and the owner refused, within a few months the lone rabbit died too so I know I made the right decision for my boy no matter how much it hurt me... and when I went to visit in december 6 months after they did not seem to know me which also helped me to get over my loss as they was too happy to miss me :love: :love: :love:

this is the decision I had to make for Alvin when Holly was critically ill... I couldnt have another rabbit for my own sanity so when Lou offered to take Holly back instead of me getting her PTS I asked if she would take Alvin too.... my heart is still broken but Holly is still alive and Alvin will never be alone.

I would advise anyone to put thier rabbit first, if it has had a partner it needs another friend ASAP or the owner should consider letting the rabbit go to someone who is willing to let it have a partner...my views are very black and white on this with no grey areas as I had to make the decision myself and this is why I will never ever have rabbits again :cry: :cry::cry:

Lou told me she pleaded with someone to give up thier rabbit who had lost a partner instead of keeping it single and the owner refused, within a few months the lone rabbit died too so I know I made the right decision for my boy no matter how much it hurt me... and when I went to visit in december 6 months after they did not seem to know me which also helped me to get over my loss as they was too happy to miss me :love: :love: :love:

I do agree. Seeing what they are like together it seems such a waste to keep them apart.
I don't feel like he will manage long without her.
I will also never get any more rabbits, unless my son wants some when he is old enough perhaps.

I do agree. Seeing what they are like together it seems such a waste to keep them apart.
I don't feel like he will manage long without her.
I will also never get any more rabbits, unless my son wants some when he is old enough perhaps.

hope my post wasnt too harsh, as its hard even now not to cry when I think about what I did.. and I know rescues can do without more rabbits but noone tells you how much the happiness of one little angel will mean more to you than your own... I hope you have a lot more time than you currently fear, and I know when Pearl died the weeks/months before I seriuosly considered not getting Alvin a friend but the day of her death I knew I had to get another rabbit and this might happen to you too..... but two dead rabbits and the thought of going through yet another illness with a new rabbit on top of Alvins stasis was just too much for me when it came to Holly... everyone else seems to have the strength to get on with it and keep the circle of rabbits going, you may have that strength too when in comes down to the actual day of deciding what to do xxxx

hope my post wasnt too harsh, as its hard even now not to cry when I think about what I did.. and I know rescues can do without more rabbits but noone tells you how much the happiness of one little angel will mean more to you than your own... I hope you have a lot more time than you currently fear, and I know when Pearl died the weeks/months before I seriuosly considered not getting Alvin a friend but the day of her death I knew I had to get another rabbit and this might happen to you too..... but two dead rabbits and the thought of going through yet another illness with a new rabbit on top of Alvins stasis was just too much for me when it came to Holly... everyone else seems to have the strength to get on with it and keep the circle of rabbits going, you may have that strength too when in comes down to the actual day of deciding what to do xxxx

No not at all harsh, I appreciate hearing everyone's views and experiences.

My circumstances have changed quite a lot in the past few years. When I found Molly I was a teenager at college living with my parents. Now I find myself married with a child! We move house a fair bit at the moment, just renting till we decide where to settle and save money for a deposit.
We decided a long time before I was even pregnant that I would not 'replace' my rabbits.
As well as these reasons, Molly was so unique, she was more like a dog than a rabbit and I think any future rabbits would always be compared to her and that's not fair.

Thanks everyone. We have talked about this time arriving but nothing prepares you for it.

I'm so sorry. I hadn't realised. Hope you're ok. Do you know what you're going to do?

He in up in RIN, and has been offered a wonderful home. I am in the process of trying to sort it all out.

He in up in RIN, and has been offered a wonderful home. I am in the process of trying to sort it all out.

How heartbreaking. It's very early days but I think this may have to be the case for us. I'm going to let the grief pass a bit then decide.

How heartbreaking. It's very early days but I think this may have to be the case for us. I'm going to let the grief pass a bit then decide.

It is, but he deserves a wife and to be happy and I can't offer him that. You will know in time what to do x

I've just been through the same thing and was lucky enough that Snowy has given my girly bun, Poppy, a lovely new home. :D

Totally gut wrenching and I still miss her like mad but it was the best thing to do for her.

Makes me feel sick thinking about it but I feel like in loosing Molly I've lost both of them already anyway. : (

Back