• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A special day.

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Exactly a year ago, at 5.30pm a baby black bunny came to his forever home here.
He's such a nervous wee boy that although he has the freedom of the house, he spends nearly all his time in his hidey hole warren system, until I go into the room (frequently) when he charges out to be stroked.:love:
He'll follow me downstairs, but won't stay there on his own.
All he wants is to be stroked & to lick me in return.

He got over his 2 abscesses very quickly, but we soldier on with low grade chronic snuffles & a bit of a dicey tummy.
He's overcome an absolute terror of my tummy rumbles, & I still have to hold onto him if I cough or sneeze but he settles down immediately.

This morning he was waiting for me to wake up for his morning cuddle as usual -perched on my bedside table:love: but today he's been especially affectionate. I wonder does he know it's our anniversary today?

ETA He was brought to me as "Mr. Bunny" so I renamed him "Benjie" - occasionally "Benjie le Bunbun".

Last edited:
I would love to wake up with my darlings staring at me but mine are not free roaming as they will et everything

Oh wow! than you for all your replies everyone.:D

:love::love::love:

Going to pester you for photos.
:lol: That's virtually mission impossible! The usual end result is a "nose print" on the camera lens followed by nose butting the camera out of my hand so I can stroke him. :lol: I've even tried sleeping with the camera under my pillow for an early morning shot. No goes, he's straight down under the duvet, & licking my chin before I can move.:lol: He always gets it right though - never actually wakes me up - just a fast mover.
My neighbour tried to take some, but he's such an enthusiastic "licker" they came out blurry.:lol:
Maybe we need to try a video one day!

I've a few old ones though.

1st week having a wash & brush up.
DSCF0015.jpg

Discovering blackthorn leaves & making a lovely mess!:lol:.
DSCF00421-1.jpg

Big boy now, about 9 months old, having his nebuliser.
DSCF0051.jpg

I love his outsized ears. :love:
He's obsessed with licking my nose through the bannisters whenever he gets a chance too!

Wow Benji is STUNNING.:love::love::love:

He is quite a big boy. Love those ears.

He looks a very calm bunny. Do you have to use the nebuliser much ?

I can't believe it's a year! :love:
He is such a beautiful boy. You need one of those cameras that takes multiple shots. :D

This morning he was waiting for me to wake up for his morning cuddle as usual - perched on my bedside table :love:

ETA He was brought to me as "Mr. Bunny" so I renamed him "Benjie" - occasionally "Benjie le Bunbun".
Oh I love that mental picture (BIB)... :love:

Love his le Bunbun suffix :lol:

In French, the phrase to run like the wind is to run like a rabbit courir comme un lapin and a chaud lapin (hot rabbit) is to be a randy bas... er... person. ;)

Thank you Jenova & Barnyard bunnies.:D
I think I need to be a bit more inventive about my photographic technique. He'll probably settle down in time.

His full story is that he was found trying to cross a busy dual carriageway at evening rush hour by a nurse who not only managed to see him, but did an emergency stop in time, and managed to stop the rest of the traffic while she scooped him up. Apparently he let her do so without protest, & lay quietly in the rear seat well for the rest of the journey. He's always been a fantastic bun to handle.

Although she advertised everywhere possible, there wasn't a single enquirey for a young black bunny. :shock: 2 weeks later it was me or a rescue.
I realised he had snuffles when he arrived but couldn't say "no". I think I cried my heart out when I found the abscesses, cos I thought that he wasn't long for this world, but by then he'd virtually healed them himself. I think my vet thought he wasn't long for this world too!

So, I used a simple saline nebuliser until Sept, which is why we don't need a chamber Barnyard bunnies. It's perfectly safe to nebulise myself at the same time.(& done my sinuses the power of good!) he was very good for the 1st few months, but started to get restless after about 10mins of it. So I stopped.

Benjie's care has been as much about keeping stress down, as much as the standard snuffles care. If stress dropped his immune response he could have got abscesses erupting anywhere (& that includes the pain of stais). I'm probably over aware of his nervousness, timid would be a better description.

It's a lovely thought that we've got through a whole year, & it's stayed under reasonable control confined to the upper airways.:D

Hi Judy! Happy 1st year anniversary!:love: Benji Le Bunbun:lol::love: He sounds like he adores being with you! A video would be amazing to see.....and Im so pleased he is so much healthier and happier....he certainly was meant to be this little bun! Lotsa noserubs and kisses Benji!:love:
Hope youre well too hun!:D

What a wonderful nurse. :love: So happy she stopped and saved Benji.

Sounds like he is very happy with you and pleased the nebulising finished in September.

Black bunnies are beautiful. :D

I can't believe it's been a year!!! :shock: it's gone so fast!!! I was so happy for you both when you took him on :D happy first year Benjie!! :love: xxx

Thank you each & everyone of you for such lovely posts.:love:

Oh I love that mental picture (BIB)... :love:

Love his le Bunbun suffix :lol:

In French, the phrase to run like the wind is to run like a rabbit courir comme un lapin and a chaud lapin (hot rabbit) is to be a randy bas... er... person. ;)

I enjoyed the French sayings. We seem to have lost nearly all the English ones.:cry: I'm not sure where le Bunbun came from. Possibly fom channel islander surnames - eg le Page & possibly from a rather dated comedy series, Allo Allo, which I stll enjoy on You tube. Apparently it went down well in France in translation too.

I have a very tenuous connection to Normandy in that the land my house is built on land which once belonged to Bishop Odo, 1/2 brother to William the Conquerer.

Benjie continues to be even more affectionate than ever. I have never ever experienced such demonstrative love from from a furry friend before.:love::love::love:

You could all see that he was meant to be, but TBH I couldn't. I was far more worried that after Thumper, I wouldn't give him a "fair deal". I don't post about him so much. He's just as special, & I love him just as much.
I think that the difference was meant to be too. He's much quieter than Thumper was as a young bun. I have the will, but not the energy to invest so much time into him.

I reflect on my plans for him. This bun would have a companion bun. This bun would have a normal bunny diet!. I bottled out, cos with pastuerella throughout his body, the stress of bonding could cause it to erupt out everywhere. He's on a totally foraged diet too to reduce dust getting up his nose. There was no way I could manage a totally foraged diet for 2 buns. A 3.00+ Kgm bun eats much more than the smaller breeds.
Also we expected very severe snuffles by now, bouts of pneumonia/otitis media, the inoperable internal abscesses, with no insurance cover possible for them. None of the predictions came to be. He's been no trouble, & so much joy.

So as I reflect over our 1st year together, & a life time of providing a home for unwanted animals, I can truely say that there's been something very special about about them all. Some have needed a little understanding & help to overcome the effects of previous bad experiences.
Every single one of them has given me infinately more love, & a deeper relationship than the pets others get from shops or breeders

Back