• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit alone outside

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Hey I'd appreciate a bit of advice please.

Lucky's a single outdoor rabbit he's got a 6ft hutch and run as his setup. To keep him warm, the bed side of the hutch is covered in hay along with his litter tray.

It's snowed here heavily so as soon as I got home from school I put him in the garage - is it okay to carry on letting him stay there until the weather goes a bit warmer.
The garage isn't insulated, it's just made of blocks and cement so it wont be significantly warmer than outside however it will be a lot warmer than the temperature outside and there'll be no snowy freezing breeze too.
*Sounds confusing* :oops:

If this is unnecessary what could I do to make his hutch suitable for him to live inside while there's masses of snow everywhere?
:wave:

Is there a car in the garage? If so the fumes are very dangerous so best not to keep a bunny in there.

Straw is a better insulator than hay so if you give him lots and lots of that he can snuggle into it, and maybe a snugglesafe too?

Is there a car in the garage? If so the fumes are very dangerous so best not to keep a bunny in there.

Straw is a better insulator than hay so if you give him lots and lots of that he can snuggle into it, and maybe a snugglesafe too?

Hi
My garage is in my garden, it's not a car parking one it's a storage one. I don't have a snuggle safe or straw - I should probably keep him in the garage then, I did also think of using towels etc but he'd just wee on them lol!

Thank you for your advice.

Covering the front of the hutch with towels will probably be enough. They're pretty hardy!

Old towels draped over the hutch (previously mentioned), old duvets, bubble wrap, a tarpaulin, cardboard, all of which will help keep the hutch snugglier.:thumb::D:D

If there's no car in there then the garage is much better as at least there's no draft and wind! :wave:

I use a polythene screen over the wire part, which I hook on; this keeps out a lot of the wet on rainy days (it doesn't cover all of the wire but does the trick). In the snow I've added some bubble wrap round the front of the hutch, making sure there is always room for air to get through and at night I peg an old exercise mat round too. I have also pinned bubble wrap onto the two 'ends' of the hutch for insulation. At night I put tarpaulins down over the front of the hutch too so Cookie is cosy. With snuggle safes hay and straw, she is fine.

Back