• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffly Baby Bunny

SiDHEaD

Warren Scout
Hello,

A few weeks before Christmas we were picking up some supplies from PaH so we sat and said hello to the buns. We noticed one had a runny nose so I told the guy and he took her out the back. After Christmas we were getting some more stuff so I asked about her and he said she'd been on treatment but was still suffering with it a bit, and so would eventually be a "adoption rehome" bunny. We decided we wanted to give her a home so waited till she was given the all-clear by their vet and now she has been with us a couple of days. The second day her nose was a little wet but not too bad and yesterday it was perfectly dry. Today however her nose is a bit wet again and a little yellowy. Her breathing is fine and she isnt sneezing.

I dont really want to upheave her again when she is trying to settle (and dont fancy going out in the snow we have here in Newbury), but I've read online that it can take a long time for them to get over it and they have little bouts and need anti biotics to help. We have baytril, but not sure how much she should have? She's still small, just under 3 months.

Should I give her some (how much) to head if off, or wait a bit longer to see whether it improves and then go to the vets if not?

Hello,

A few weeks before Christmas we were picking up some supplies from PaH so we sat and said hello to the buns. We noticed one had a runny nose so I told the guy and he took her out the back. After Christmas we were getting some more stuff so I asked about her and he said she'd been on treatment but was still suffering with it a bit, and so would eventually be a "adoption rehome" bunny. We decided we wanted to give her a home so waited till she was given the all-clear by their vet and now she has been with us a couple of days. The second day her nose was a little wet but not too bad and yesterday it was perfectly dry. Today however her nose is a bit wet again and a little yellowy. Her breathing is fine and she isnt sneezing.

I dont really want to upheave her again when she is trying to settle (and dont fancy going out in the snow we have here in Newbury), but I've read online that it can take a long time for them to get over it and they have little bouts and need anti biotics to help. We have baytril, but not sure how much she should have? She's still small, just under 3 months.

Should I give her some (how much) to head if off, or wait a bit longer to see whether it improves and then go to the vets if not?

You cannot administer a prescription only medication (ie the Baytril) without first consulting a Vet. Giving lots of abx to a Rabbit at such a young age is really not great anyway, for two reasons. One, the gut flora are more likely to be disturbed by abx in young Rabbits. This can cause very serious enteritis. Two, abx resistance can become a real problem.

I would get her examined by your Vet as soon as possible.

Hi

When this snowy period is over, I would highly recommend you register at the Newbury Vets4Pets practice (it's near Halfords) and see either Ivan or Charlotte (both brilliant with bunnies, I personally prefer Ivan). He is the one person I trust more than myself with my bunnies, and he will be able to advise on your bunnies snuffles. I'm quite envious, I have to travel for 40 mins to see him, I'd love to live in Newbury!!! :lol:

Hi

When this snowy period is over, I would highly recommend you register at the Newbury Vets4Pets practice (it's near Halfords) and see either Ivan or Charlotte (both brilliant with bunnies, I personally prefer Ivan). He is the one person I trust more than myself with my bunnies, and he will be able to advise on your bunnies snuffles. I'm quite envious, I have to travel for 40 mins to see him, I'd love to live in Newbury!!! :lol:

I live almost next door to that place, it's in the road behind us lol

Our vets is O'Gorman Slater and Main though, and they are the other side of Newbury. Maybe I could register her at that one instead so we can get her seen quicker with less upset to her when she's trying to get settled in.

You cannot administer a prescription only medication (ie the Baytril) without first consulting a Vet. Giving lots of abx to a Rabbit at such a young age is really not great anyway, for two reasons. One, the gut flora are more likely to be disturbed by abx in young Rabbits. This can cause very serious enteritis. Two, abx resistance can become a real problem.

I would get her examined by your Vet as soon as possible.

That's fine, just some stuff I read on the net that it needs ongoing treatment with antibiotics for a long time, and now that she's come away from the Petshop where they were giving her them she is starting to get it back a bit.. Trying to nip it in the bud. I shall see how we go over the weekend.

I live almost next door to that place, it's in the road behind us lol

Our vets is O'Gorman Slater and Main though, and they are the other side of Newbury. Maybe I could register her at that one instead so we can get her seen quicker with less upset to her when she's trying to get settled in.

If I were you I'd ditch the old vets and register permanently with V4P, I wouldn't go anywhere else with bunnies. Most vets don't get specific training in rabbits (which are classed as exotics) so finding a good exotics vet is paramount - you're lucky being right next to two of the best in the UK (IMO)

Been today to Vets4pets and Charlotte. Very impressed with her bunny knowledge. She's got to have Baytril and its probably come on cos the stress of moving from the back cages of the petshop to here (and then we changed her cage to a bigger one yesterday too).

We got Evie from Pets at Home and unfortunately she did have discharge from her nose - the vet initially gave her a course of septrin, however this upset her tummy. We then started putting echnicea (sp?) in her water along with rabbit vitamin drops and sprinkle a capsule of red raspberry leaf onto her food which seems to keep the discharge at bay. There's been the odd day where its been more noticable but it is managable.

I would speak to Pets At Home and see if they will pay for treatment, they normally will if you use a Companion Care Vets, I would ask the vets for a culture and sensitivity swab so you can find out what bugs are up there and treat with the relevant antibiotic. My most recent foster is a PAH snuffle reject and he has a strange bug which is only treatable by 1 type of antibiotic. Most vets are keen to put it down to pasturella and shove on Baytril, but if the Baytril hasn't cleared it is might be something else. PAH are usually good at paying for things like that for treatment.

Thanks for input. She did have an upset tummy for a couple of days but that's looking good today and her little nose has been clear for the past couple of days :D

Oh no. Charlotte told me not to worry about it being contagious as all rabbits carry it. So we've let them to start to meet each other and now Fitzhenry has started sneezing and bit of a runny nose today :( what a disaster!

Gonna have to go back to our usual vets next week. I hope Harvey doesn't get it, he's only just recovered from stasis after neutering :eek:

Oh no. Charlotte told me not to worry about it being contagious as all rabbits carry it. So we've let them to start to meet each other and now Fitzhenry has started sneezing and bit of a runny nose today :( what a disaster!

Gonna have to go back to our usual vets next week. I hope Harvey doesn't get it, he's only just recovered from stasis after neutering :eek:

He may not have caught it from your other Rabbit, he could have been incubating/carrying it and the stress of neutering and subsequent gut stasis triggered the infection to become 'active'.

I wouldn't want a young bun with snuffles who has just moved home meeting another bun yet.

Give her time to get settled in and then do a proper bond on neutral ground in you want them to live together.

He may not have caught it from your other Rabbit, he could have been incubating/carrying it and the stress of neutering and subsequent gut stasis triggered the infection to become 'active'.

Noo, Harvey was just neutered and had stasis, Fitzhenry hasn't been done yet.

They've only been looking at each other through her bars, she keeps trying to get over to him. But I'd have been washing hands between handling them and washing the cleaning trowel etc.

the frustrating thing is as we were leaving the vets I specifically asked if we needed to worry about the other rabbits catching it off her as Fitz is next to her and they'll eventually be together too.

Been to see our normal vet today, got a different type of anti biotics. She said it's best to keep them in different rooms for a week and ensure they don't come into contact. If Fitzhenry is still sneezing tomorrow then he'll have to go there too. Vet said hopefully it was just lightly affecting him and he will be able to fight it off.

Back