• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to loosen up compact hay

I've got a bale of hay from the dust free hay company in the same shed as the piggies but I'm struggling to pull the hay out which is a pain because they need lots now its so cold. How can I take out some hay from the bale efficiently without having to pull it out so hard my arms nearly breaks and I get splinters in my hand? :wave:

Is it in a bag, or a bale tied with nylon rope type? With compacted hay, I unwap the whole lot and find it is usually in "layers" which I then transfer to tuff crates or empty aubiose/hay bags. Once you have seperated the layers, it is then much easier to take what you need.

I rebag it as soon as I receive it. If it's held together with string I just cut it and then pull it into large chunks and stick it into megazorb sacks or other large plastic bags.

Back