• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wood shavings

bunkin

Warren Veteran
I have always used wood shavings not sawdust in the bunny litter tray covered with alot of straw and hay. I know all about sawdust being dangerous for humans never mind bunnies as huband used to work with wood but wood shavings are safe for humans so assumed they were okay for bunnies as well.

Or am I wrong???

The majority of wood shavings are made from pine which when weed on releases phenols, these phenols tend to irritate the respiratory systems in small animals including rabbits. They also aren't very absorbent and tend to float around. There are alternatives such as carefresh, megazorb, auboise or just plain newspaper and hay.

Don't know about the safety of wood shavings but I use megazorb as it's 4 times more absorbent and much better at staying smell free! Also it's cheap in big bags from the horse shop

I use megazorb just because it's more absorbent and cheaper. Personally using wood shavings in a litter tray wouldn't be much of an issue for me because the buns aren't on it for a long time and generally it's covered in hay so they aren't sitting on it. I would never use it in a hutch or as an actual substrate where bunnies had no way to get away from it or if they laid in the litter tray frequently.

I have posted a similar link before, I now use medibed as so many are against using shaving and to be seen as a good rescue you cannot use shavings, it's also easier to put medibed in the muck heap:D, however I used shavings for years and never had any problems.

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/pine-shavings.html

Personally I'm inclined to believe that wood shavings do affect respiratory systems. Mischa was on shavings when I first had him and he had snuffles. Nutmeg was on shavings before I got her and she has snuffles. I know that's only two cases and there are other contributing factors but I don't think it's coincidence.

I use wood shavings with Poppy. I tried all the other beddings and she just wont wee in the litter tray with them. I also was a bit worried about Megazorb as I bought it from two different suppliers and the megazorb went mouldy in the bag:? It put me right off buying it again.

Personally I'm inclined to believe that wood shavings do affect respiratory systems. Mischa was on shavings when I first had him and he had snuffles. Nutmeg was on shavings before I got her and she has snuffles. I know that's only two cases and there are other contributing factors but I don't think it's coincidence.

Same, I'm sure Poppy's upper respiratory problem is because of the woodshavings I had her on. My vet thinks so too. It's agitated more when it's dusty in the bedroom and you can tell the different between the sneezes caused by her teeth and her infection sneezes as they are rather chesty, they are pretty nasty to listen to.

I use hay as I do have concerns over wood shavings and I also think hay is much comfier to sit on. Its a great way to reuse uneaten hay too.

Thanks everyone. I have a very thick layer of straw and hay over the wood shavings and the contents are changed every morning. I am a bit of a clean freak:roll:

AS bun is nearly seven and half years old:thumb: and has always been on wood shavings he is obviously okay with them. He only has then in his litter tray well covered and nowhere else in the hutch.

I spend a fortune on hay and straw!!

Back