• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Bridesmaids dresses! Eeeeeek!

RubyTed

Wise Old Thumper
Whilst I've been playing about with my wedding dress I gave my MoH the job of doing the mock up wedding dress (as in, a practice dress, to see how it fits, in cheap fabric. She decided to do it in a lovely turquoise fabric so she can wear it elsewhere.

I'm having 5 bridesmaids, ranging in sizes from an 8 to a 16, and in height from 5ft to 5ft9. It also had to suit a 13 year old as well as a 25 year old...Argh!! I think I found an epic pattern and this will suit them all wonderfully! *jumps up and down in excitement*

Do you want to see it? :mrgreen:

C2BE3037-8DF0-43D6-B2A3-CAB76E85D2C7-350-000000CB2C3396B7.jpg

92ACB1B7-E7EE-48D7-8950-15EBCC1BFE6F-350-000000C91FC2999D.jpg

It'll have a slight petticoat underneath to make it poof slightly! :love:

Back
A77C2DD4-EBB1-4125-BEE5-453C95E60B85-350-000000C92EC9E858.jpg

477A4775-8364-4E25-A0CE-E2AF4CC1A65F-350-000000C933F4F3CA.jpg

I think depending on how lower we do the neck (50's and 60's dresses aren't made for the bustier lady) then we might lower the back, by an inch too (although that also would depend on if it'd still cover the bra.

That's my 'go to' dress shape! Suits everyone and is really comfy so no one's going to be fiddling with strapless bras etc...(my idea of hell!:evil:)

I love the colour too.

It'll also look cute with flats or heels, so no worry there either.

Ooooo...I am size 12/14 while you're asking. I'll PM you my address for mine. No rush...;)

Thank you! I think I might have to make my own…..you know….just to make sure that I like it! ;)

You're right Dizzyg! I didn't consciously go out looking for a dress with straps but with such a wide range of breast sizes a strapless dress would have probably been hell for all of them!! :shock: My dress will have straps too. I do love strapless dresses but I want to feel comfortable all day….and also the most popular wedding dress style is strapless, and as I'm making it I want it to be a little bit different.

With 5 of my own to make you can all get in line…...:shock: The pattern is "Butterick Retro 5748" (look at the bottom of this page link). The dress is easy as pie and only has 4 pieces to cut and sew. Actually I love ALL of Butterick's "retro" dresses! :love::love::love:

What a great pattern - a lovely, flattering shape. :thumb: I think I like the first neckline best... it just works with the rest of the dress. But that's only my preference.

What a great pattern - a lovely, flattering shape. :thumb: I think I like the first neckline best... it just works with the rest of the dress. But that's only my preference.

We're trying a few different necklines. She really does have an enormous chest so I want her in whatever neckline she feels comfortable in. I know what you mean though….hopefully I can get my sister and cousin in the normal neckline and then the bustier ladies in a lower scoop or the sweetheart if they want.:)

if I was wearing it I'd want a sweetheart neckline, only because scoop and V aren't very flattering on me! Its an absolutely gorgeous dress, I may make one for myself :love:

Back