• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay instead of straw??

Rufus

Mama Doe
I buy straw at a pet store but it's expensive.
Now my collegue has horses and she could give me a bale of hay.
Would that do to keep buns and piggies warm or do I need straw anyhow?
Trying to find someone that sells me 1 bale instead of 25....

i use hay in their dog basket but always straw as bedding as it is warmer and more insulating, especially in winter:wave:

Do you have a Range store near u? I get both my hay and straw from there, it's called natures own and they're both £3.99 each for a massive bag. Iv always found them to be good quality. The straw lasts me a while cos they don't really eat it so I put a good layer of straw then hay and just top up the hay each day.

During the normal mild and warm weather I use cheap hay as bedding and more tasty hay for feeding. But after today everything is going to go 0 and below so I have just changed them over to straw to help keep them warm. I think keep up the straw until spring time and then you can change over to cheap hay etc. Or what you could do is have a mixture of both hay and straw. Then you would have to buy straw less and that would help save a bit of money

I also use Natures Own and it is about £4.99 at the local shop for a XL bag of straw. I have used about just over half to fill up my 6ft hutch with a nice thick layer so it's not too bad

I think the main point to remember about hay as bedding is to ensure the strands aren't too long.
It's thinner & more bendy than straw, & I believe it can, rarely, wrap round a bunny's foot cutting off the blood supply. :cry:

Do you have a Range store near u? I get both my hay and straw from there, it's called natures own and they're both £3.99 each for a massive bag. Iv always found them to be good quality. The straw lasts me a while cos they don't really eat it so I put a good layer of straw then hay and just top up the hay each day.

I live in Belgium :)

I pay 5€ for 4 kg straw...One bag is about enough for two days in this cold weather.
I think I will go to a horse stable and see if they are willing to sell me a bale of straw.

I live in Belgium :)

I pay 5€ for 4 kg straw...One bag is about enough for two days in this cold weather.
I think I will go to a horse stable and see if they are willing to sell me a bale of straw.

Ah sorry didn't notice where u lived! I think it's about 4kg bags that I get but like I said they tend not to eat it or soil it so it lasts a while, it's hay I get through mountains of!! :lol:

If you can store a bale I would get one. I get bales of hay and straw from a local farm, a bale of hay is £4 and straw is £3 so I get both. If you ring around your local farms or agricultural places you can probably get a bale of straw and hay. Its a bit messy in the car but I just put the seats down and put a big dust sheet down.

Back