• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yogurt pots

I<3Rabbits

Mama Doe
Can you make any toys using yogurt pots or use them in anyway? For the rabbits. Or are they not safe for rabbits?

Personally I wouldn't because most rabbits tend to chew & they're made of thin plastic.
They do however make fantastic plant pots (epecially the big ones) if you drill a few holes in the bottom. You can grow bunny herbs in them.:)

Good idea. I'm going to do that. Do I have to wait till the summer to grow herbs, also what herbs easiest to grow? Also do I grow them inside? You can tel I'm not a gardener :oops::lol:

I think I should leave others to answer that one, cos nearly all bunny herbs die back in winter naturally, & my gardening has always been seasonal, cos I've a cold house, & enough day light is the main factor. They'll usually germinate in temps of about 18C, but tend to go straggly fom lack of light, then die off. Putting a large piece of aluminium foil mounted on cardboard to stiffen it, behind the plant helps to increase light by reflection. Getting watering right is difficult too.

Lambs lettuce naturally grows through winter (no relation at all to what we think of as lettuce) & thyme over winters well. Cheapest way to get more thyme is to buy a small bunch of stems from the supermarket, put them in a cup with 1/2" water & they'll root themselves. when roots appear transfer into soil.
For carrrot tops get a few carrots which haven't been scrubbed, likewise put in a mug of water, & they'll grow roots & start to sprout. Regular change of water helps to stop rot/algal growth.

When the days start getting longer, the cheapest way to get more woody perennial herbs (come every year) eg miniature roses, rosemary, is to take cuttings from 1 plant, get some oasis, cut into 3/4" cubes, put water in to 1/2 way up the cube & plant the whole thing in good soil when the roots come through. the best place to cut the stem is beteen 2 leaves & strip the leaves form the lower part of the stem then dip in rooting hormone (from all gardening shops.)
It doesn't work after midsummer.

I don't want to put you off. I do want to save you disappointment. You'll have much better success growing them when they're supposed to grow! They're a doddle to grow then. So I'd say wait a couple of months. It'll make all the difference.:)

I'd also say sow the seeds thinly - well separated so they can grow good roots. I start seeds off in much wider, shallower plastic trays about 2'' deep, & then move to yoghut pots as they grow. also the plastic has to be pristine clean, or you'll get nasties like moulds, & always put those drainage holes in, even a bit of gravel at the bottom of yoghut pots.

Last edited:
Back