• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping bunnies warm

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Im finding it hard to keep the playhouse and hutch warm in this rediculous weather. Ive had hot water bottles in safe bunnies hutch (he doesnt chew bless him) and Ive wrapped it in a blanket, its in the bed compartment and full of hay. Ive put cardboard on the base of the bed area because its supposed to insulate more. He has a thin wool type blanket and a hutch hugger on to try and keep what little heat there is in there. Hot water bottle isnt staying warm long as I cant make it too hot. Poor Hamish bun was underweight when I got him a couple of months back and has only just got up to a weight Im happy with, so hasnt even got extra padding to keep him warm. Ive upped his food a little, but he's not a big eater, more interested in hay and any herbs and twigs he gets.

MY playhouse bunnies seem fine, theyre out in the run, and they do have eachother for warmth. The bowls in there are freezing though, and theres frost on the inside of the windows. Ive covered the floor with hay and the bed area is stuffed with hay too. Is there anything more I can do? They ate through the Ice pod in summer, so I darent give them a snugglesafe or anything. Herbie even managed to eat through part of the playhouse last year :shock: (They do have a lot of toys, chew sticks, mountains of hays, tunnels etc to keep them busy, they just like being little monsters!

Is there any more I can do to keep them warm? I guess the pair cant be that cold if they want to go play out in the run. None of the bunnies feel cold, base of ears still warm although rest of ears are cold, all have thick fluffly winter coats.

Im finding it hard to keep the playhouse and hutch warm in this rediculous weather. Ive had hot water bottles in safe bunnies hutch (he doesnt chew bless him) and Ive wrapped it in a blanket, its in the bed compartment and full of hay. Ive put cardboard on the base of the bed area because its supposed to insulate more. He has a thin wool type blanket and a hutch hugger on to try and keep what little heat there is in there. Hot water bottle isnt staying warm long as I cant make it too hot. Poor Hamish bun was underweight when I got him a couple of months back and has only just got up to a weight Im happy with, so hasnt even got extra padding to keep him warm. Ive upped his food a little, but he's not a big eater, more interested in hay and any herbs and twigs he gets.

MY playhouse bunnies seem fine, theyre out in the run, and they do have eachother for warmth. The bowls in there are freezing though, and theres frost on the inside of the windows. Ive covered the floor with hay and the bed area is stuffed with hay too. Is there anything more I can do? They ate through the Ice pod in summer, so I darent give them a snugglesafe or anything. Herbie even managed to eat through part of the playhouse last year :shock: (They do have a lot of toys, chew sticks, mountains of hays, tunnels etc to keep them busy, they just like being little monsters!

Is there any more I can do to keep them warm? I guess the pair cant be that cold if they want to go play out in the run. None of the bunnies feel cold, base of ears still warm although rest of ears are cold, all have thick fluffly winter coats.

I personally wouldn't use hot water bottles but the snugglesafe heat pads instead. Make sure there is lots of hay/straw/newspaper for him to snuggle up into.

The windows on my shed frost up but I have a tarpaulin cover over the shed and when it covers the window they don't frost up.

Hope this helps :wave:

Thanks, Ive got OH to bring home a couple of tarps and shoved one over the playhouse and one over the hutch as an extra layer, its ridiculously cold here. Bring on the snow, at least if its snowing its probably only minus 1, not minus 8.

Brill.... i've noticed it really helps keep the windows frost free. Its -1 at the moment here, supposed to dip down to -6 on the weekend though :shock:

Its been down to minus 11 when we've checked early mornings, I know norwich (only about an hour away) was a lot lot colder. With it supposedly getting even colder over the next few days Im worried sick about the bunnies.

Back