• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What makes Aubiose better than wood shavings?

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
not sure if i've put this in the right section , but anyway I use Aubiose which is hemp bedding for my guinea pigs and also for the bunnies in their litter trays. I was just wondering really what makes it better than shavings? I'd like to be able to advise other people on bedding types but don't know really what makes it better than shavings.

am I right in thinking that Aubiose (hemp bedding ) is safer as there is literally no dust that comes off it so should not cause respiratory problems and also when rabbits wee it does not release nasty phenols?

Help would be great, thanks RU :wave:

Yes, I also use aubiose or hemcore. Wood shavings/sawdust is usually made from quick growing pine which contains dangerous chemicals including phenols which are toxic to small animals. I really don't know why shops still sell the stuff ( I guess it has a better profit margin and the same reasons they still sell tiny hutches).

Yes, I also use aubiose or hemcore. Wood shavings/sawdust is usually made from quick growing pine which contains dangerous chemicals including phenols which are toxic to small animals. I really don't know why shops still sell the stuff ( I guess it has a better profit margin and the same reasons they still sell tiny hutches).

Yes, this.

Aspen is safe, just pine and cedar that are bad.

Red cypress is also safe (used for reptiles generally, not small mammals, but just to clarify) but I'd never use it for anything just because cypress takes a looong time to grow and I don't think it's right to chop them down just for bedding when there are plenty of other alternatives. They've chopped down loads of cypress along the coast here in Florida for cypress mulch for gardens :(

I'd say it's the phenols and the absorbency (seem to remember reading that it's 4x as absorbent as wood shavings?). I wouldn't say it's dust free as when I'm tipping it out it really irritates my asthma, but for most pets it's fine.

Back