• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really down about hay at the moment :-(

catherine09

Mama Doe
I try so hard to get good hay, I have tried places local and faraway and even make 2 hour round trips to find decent hay. In the last 2 months I must have thrown away 4 entire bales because I wasn't happy. This week I was desperately low after finding another stale bale, so looked locally and found a woman selling 'Excellent quality' hay, it was dark and freezing when I picked it up but seemed ok and I needed it, got home and opened it up and...mould :cry:

Another emergency late night trip to asda for emergency hay...

Today, my H4P order came, Timothy and rye, I was ecstatic as I was so sick of worrying about hay, opened it up and it's not nice.....they are eating it but it just smells horrible, but isn't mouldy or anything so I suppose it'll do for now. I'm now wondering where I should try now, but after an hour trip I can't face not finding a good bale. I'm going to have to try dust free hay but its so blooming expensive and I have 9 mouths to feed :/

I'm just really unhappy about it all. How can I expect the buns to stay healthy and have nice poops if I can't even provide them good hay. I know they're just eating it cos there's nothing else and I feel terrible :cry:

I feel your pain :( I too have chucked a fair few bales in the last few months :( I also buy H4P hay regularly, but I buy the Ings which smells gorgeous and they all love :wave: I am currently buying 4 large bags a month :shock: plus about 2 large bales. I am broke :lol:

Have you tried the place at Oakley? (Can't recommend as I've never tried it; I get mine from Hay4Pets).

I know what you mean :( having HUGE trouble myself, the bales around here are brown and iffy smelling. Hope you find some good hay soon :wave:

Have you tried Frosbury Farm in Guildford ?

Yep - one of my bad bales was from there!! I did a 2 hour round trip and it was so disappointing :-(

I will try again as I did have a couple of lovely bales a few months back, but I can't afford to drive all the way there (like 50 miles) if its not guaranteed to be nice, so I'm just going to have to wait til I'm nearby again

Have you tried the place at Oakley? (Can't recommend as I've never tried it; I get mine from Hay4Pets).

Do you mean Park Farm Riding? Yeah tried there, very yellow and dusty and straw like

I feel your pain :( I too have chucked a fair few bales in the last few months :( I also buy H4P hay regularly, but I buy the Ings which smells gorgeous and they all love :wave: I am currently buying 4 large bags a month :shock: plus about 2 large bales. I am broke :lol:

I think I'll buy either Ings or meadow from now on. The thing is so many people on here say T&R but everytime I buy it I'm disappointed and assume I've been unlucky...that's happened three times now!!

I know what you mean :( having HUGE trouble myself, the bales around here are brown and iffy smelling. Hope you find some good hay soon :wave:

Ugh I just hate the brown and when it smells horrible and is all dusty...yuck!!

If I get a smelly, icky bag of Timothy and rye, Leo has it:oops: no word of a lie though, he eats twice as much! :lol: Donny and Lola are the picky ones! The bale I have is my first and the deeper I get into it, the better it is. The t&rye is good this time but I gave the last bag to Leo as it wasn't amazing for Donny and Lola.

I know how you feel though, I spend so much time stressing about hay!

Sadly hay is just rubbish this year, due to the wet summer. We had some bales cut from a field we borrowed to take hay from, at least half is rubbish and although the rest is edible,'it's not great.
I would be surprised if any decent hay was made this year.:(

Sadly hay is just rubbish this year, due to the wet summer. We had some bales cut from a field we borrowed to take hay from, at least half is rubbish and although the rest is edible,'it's not great.
I would be surprised if any decent hay was made this year.:(

The thing is, I know there's good hay out there, I just seem to be so unlucky. I went to Frosburys around the same time as someone I know, they had lovely hay, mine was rubbish. Must have been from a different farm :?

Yeah, thats true, they are a bit on the dear side....

If its any consolation, I have had a few bales recently which have been positively vile and have ended p at the tip!! Its a nightmare with this damp weather.

Chin up Catherine, hopefully your luck will change and You'll find some....

Fee x

I buy from hayforpets and get the Ings, I don't particularly like the t&r tbh. I have never had a bad batch, although I did have 1 slightly dodgy one just before they ran out of stock last year, I just assumed that they were down to the dregs!

I have tried finding more local hay and it is hard :( the hay we use for the buns at work is really not good. It's dry and not mouldy or anything its just dusty and unappetising. They make it themselves though so changing it isn't really an option!

If you're ever down the Eastbourne or Hastings way there's a supply shop called ESK pets pantry. It's a bit cheap and nasty for some things but does a variety of hay from cheap and nasty to nice and green, prices obviously increasing as it gets better. I've never had any go off or mouldy. It doesn't sell pets either if you don't go to shops that do.

Saying that I don't know if it's cheap or expensive as I only have the one bun so don't tend to worry too much... but it could be an option?

My farmer has had to delay my delivery due to the weather and he isnt delivering untill tomorow night... so today I nipped to pets at home for hay and OMG its horrid! :shock: I cant believe some people only buy hay from there...its brown/stupidly whispy and nasty and short cut dusty pices/mess :? Iv not bought pets at home hay ever...apart from timothy king thingi that none of them ate after I spent £7 odd for a silly bag...the hay today cost me more for 3kg than I spend on 15-20kg of really decent hay... :roll:

I doubt any of the piggies or buns will eat it but Olly is coming tomorow...As I was filling them up tonight I was singing this rediculous song about 'olly olly olly the haaaaaay man is coming tomorrrrrrrow!' :roll::oops:

Hope you find some nice hay soon ((hugs)) Iv really lucky as our farm hay from Olly is absolutly fab...

I bought loads of treat hays for Smoo when she had her operation, but you know the hay she chooses over all the other? The £2 bags of My Little Friend meadow hay from Sainsbury's. :D One compressed bag lasts her and the chinchillas a week, it expands and fills my big hay tub.

Back