• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits are petrified of dogs

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Earlier on I was in the bunny shed cleaning out the piggies hutches not paying much attention , the bunnies were wandering about in the shed and runs then all of a sudden I heard a loud thump and the bunnies running about with their hearts pacing, looked around to see a collie beside the runs :shock: the poor bunnies were thumping for about 10 minutes after and were so scared :( We don't have any dogs never do but unfortunately our garden is not fully fenced yet so the majority of it is pretty open so anything can just wander in which is not good, parents are saving up for fence which will be great.

Are you bunnies scared of dogs?

Poppy doesn't mind, when she was an outdoor bun, she frequently lay next to my nans dog in the summer when they would come down from Liverpool, she would be in her run of course! They loved each other. She didn't like my aunties dog as she would bark at her, Poppy would then box her through the mesh :lol: Poppy isn't bothered by any animal, she is very laid back. When Apollo (hamster) managed to escape from his tank, my bf found him on the floor with Poppy sitting by him :lol: poor Apollo didn't know what to do!

Now she's an indoor bun she has to put up with my bf's black lab, Harvey. He gets jealous of other animals getting fuss when he isn't so whines :lol: he's not allowed in the bedroom as he would probably try and carry her off!

Leo doesn't mind Harvey but Harvey is a little obsessed with watching the rabbits when he can! Can't shake those doggie instincts :p

Donny and Lola hate dogs, they will thump, box and just charge around. Ritzy (aunties dog) isn't allowed up here anymore because of the rabbits!

the new buns are always wary of the dogs, but the long standing family members are not bothered, some even lay with them

Ailsa is. Islay, Jura, Arran and Harris have grown up around them (well Arran did in his previous home, the others I had from babies and introduced dogs very young). Ailsa had never met a dog till I adopted her in September, and she's still pretty terrified. I'm hoping she'll get used to them, because they aren't going to do her any harm.

Mine have never met one but my original bridge bun was killed by one, so the three buns I have now will never get the chance to see one let alone meet one!:)

Yes terrified! if I have been to my friends house and come home smelling like her dog, they are always so suspicious of me! Lola ran around her hutch in a panic aswell once, a bit like the time she panicked and nearly killed herself when we made her jump when we came in, so now I change all my clothes and wash all up my arms to try and get rid of the dog scent!

My sister got a Doberman from puppy age, he is now a huge fully grown dog and her buns arn't bothered by him as they are used to him. Mine would freak!!

I was very wary of letting my buns mingle with my Yorkie, knowing that these dogs have been bred for generations to chase small furry creatures, but Jenna is so good with them, and they don't see her as a threat. I wouldn't leave them alone together because I think that's a silly thing to do in any case, but I'm not as worried as I used to be about them sharing the house. I think I'd be more worried of the bunnies chasing her around and nipping her.
I don't let my daughter's dog near them though because I'm pretty sure she'd scare them to death.
One thing I know they are scared of though is when the ravens caw outside the window. I get lots of thumping then. :(

Bella is ok with most animals (except birds). I bet she'd be the one chasing the dog :lol: Boris is terrified of dogs (and cats).

My mother in law has a cocker spaniel puppy and the buns are TERRIFIED, she is banned from our house now!! :evil:
But my family dog is a big old girl who doesn't move very fast and the buns aren't bothered, we still keep them well out the way just in case though.

Back