• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Holly Update - not great

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Not good at all - she has been at vets all day - no change except her tummy is getting bigger and more solid. Just spoken with vet - he's trying her with more drugs (he's got a quite a strong accent so didn't quite understand what he was saying - but some drug they give to humans with trapped wind?). But she is just not responding to what they've given her. She will be staying in over night.

But the worse of it is that he said prognosis is 50/50. He mentioned an operation to me this morning as a last resort - but apparently the recovery rate is not high.

It's just not fair on Holly - she is the most delightful little girl - so full of life and energy, so affectionate with us, loves cuddles and attention. We've not had her for long - not long enough - but in that time she has completely stolen our hearts.

Going to see vet at 6.15pm this evening...this is going to be the longest 2 hours. We will do whatever the vet says - and as long as he's prepared to keep fighting - so will we.

:( i'm so sorry the news isn't good... I really hope she gets better for you, it's so worrying when they're unwell *hug*

Update

:D:D:D:D

Need I say more?

She is POOPING - yipee! (need an icon to show dancing madly round the lounge, throwing poop in the air ;))

And she is eating hay - and seems to love the small bits of apple and carrot we've given her this morning as well (small bits - not going overboard with that).

Her tummy is much smaller (it was so big and bloated last night) and she is so much more her normal self.

Still along way to go but there's a light at the end of the tunnel now. Back to the vets this morning but I think I will be bringing her home with me straight afterwards :D Will continue on with the critical care and pinapple juice for a couple of days.

Would love to know what caused this - the only thing we can think of is that we gave her a new toy - this thing made of reed grass which she's had a good chew at. And also we moved her into a new, bigger hutch - but same position and she wasn't stressed by it all - she may have eaten some of the wood.

Thank you so much everyone for your continue support and advice! :thumb:

Vet is very happy too! Given me some meds for her to give at home but unless something else happens - then that's that! Steffan the vet has been so good - and his nurses as well. Obviously care about the animals in their care and have done everything they can for Holly.

She has now flopped - obviously a very tired little girl...so fingers crossed the recovery continues :)

Back