PDA

View Full Version : U/D Daniel - I have taken photos of the shed/summerhouse

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 03:33 PM
There is still small patches of wet getting in. Still have no idea where from. I have felt the walls and the ceiling. The wall are completely dry. The ceilings are cold but not wet. I have felt everywhere and cannot find the source plus we replaced the felt and put bituman on.

Could it still be porous ? Maybe the roof wood has had it. :?

I haven't even told James but we are going to have to get a new shed asap. I will sell this and hope to get at least £75.00.

Don't know really where to start. The ones at Homebase and B and Q are not what I want and expensive. Not getting far with ebay.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Aly&Poppy<3
16-01-2013, 03:35 PM
The tongue and groove shed I bought off eBay was £199, 6x4. I think it's the same price now.

I'll go on the laptop and find a link, it's a great shed, the seller is great too, they do sheds for that Alan Titchmarsh garden programme.

Edit: found it! It's really good quality, I'd happily buy another one! Worth the £199 :D delivery was quick too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Wooden-Tongue-and-Groove-Garden-Shed-6-x-4-New-with-key-lock-/261156373409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cce2203a1

Daniel
16-01-2013, 03:51 PM
There is still small patches of wet getting in. Still have no idea where from. I have felt the walls and the ceiling. The wall are completely dry. The ceilings are cold but not wet. I have felt everywhere and cannot find the source plus we replaced the felt and put bituman on.

Could it still be porous ? Maybe the roof wood has had it. :?

I haven't even told James but we are going to have to get a new shed asap. I will sell this and hope to get at least £75.00.

Don't know really where to start. The ones at Homebase and B and Q are not what I want and expensive. Not getting far with ebay.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Can you take a photo or the shed and problem bits?

Jan
16-01-2013, 03:58 PM
It could be condensation, obviously I am not an expert but just a thought. The temperature varies so much from outside to sheds ,garages and hutches. I know you must be in a terrible state, hope you can get sorted.

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 04:01 PM
The tongue and groove shed I bought off eBay was £199, 6x4. I think it's the same price now.

I'll go on the laptop and find a link, it's a great shed, the seller is great too, they do sheds for that Alan Titchmarsh garden programme.

Edit: found it! It's really good quality, I'd happily buy another one! Worth the £199 :D delivery was quick too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Wooden-Tongue-and-Groove-Garden-Shed-6-x-4-New-with-key-lock-/261156373409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cce2203a1

Thanks Aly.

Can you take a photo or the shed and problem bits?

There is a photo of it on the 6th post. Its getting too dark to take photos now but it doesn't look any different inside to these ones. Not the original floor.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?373742-Big-HELP-need-urgent-buns-summerhouse-DIY-advice

The inside.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?372746-Bandit-and-Cutie-pie

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 04:05 PM
It could be condensation, obviously I am not an expert but just a thought. The temperature varies so much from outside to sheds ,garages and hutches. I know you must be in a terrible state, hope you can get sorted.

One of the mats was wet yesterday, that cannot be condensation. My fault for buying second hand. I think its something to do with the roof.

Daniel
16-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Thanks Aly.

There is a photo of it on the 6th post. Its getting too dark to take photos now but it doesn't look any different inside to these ones. Not the original floor.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?373742-Big-HELP-need-urgent-buns-summerhouse-DIY-advice

The inside.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?372746-Bandit-and-Cutie-pie

Was the timber on the roof replaced?
Looking at it, the floor looks rather wet, is it rotting?

If the roof was moldy, you would have to replace the roof, felt wont work as the roof would be rotting already. Once you get rot, nothing you can do but remove the rot.

The doors have gaps in, that won't help with rain.

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Was the timber on the roof replaced?
Looking at it, the floor looks rather wet, is it rotting?

If the roof was moldy, you would have to replace the roof, felt wont work as the roof would be rotting already. Once you get rot, nothing you can do but remove the rot.

The doors have gaps in, that won't help with rain.

That is also a new floor. We had our bathroom done and this was left over, plus I put down laminate at the sides. I had sponged it over that morning as Bandit the big bun and had done a large wee on there. However the floor underneath is bad.

There is a verandah roof. Its all a bit of a disaster isn't it. :(

PS the timber wasn't replaced but was dry on the top and underneath. It was mouldy and the guy in our local diy shop said to scrap it off and put the bitumen on the roof. We are hopeless hopeless diy people.

R.P.B.G.G
16-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Condensation drips, so yes it could be that,
Its been extremely cold of late, hence more condensation.

Get a hose on it and check it has a leak before you go out and waste money, or buckets of water if you have no hose

Debster
16-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Our 6x4 shed (T&G) was from www.shedstore.co.uk it was £200, had it two years and its been great. Could be a bit more now I guess.

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Condensation drips, so yes it could be that,
Its been extremely cold of late, hence more condensation.

Get a hose on it and check it has a leak before you go out and waste money, or buckets of water if you have no hose

Good idea. No hose but I have a bucket. Its just so weird. I go in there 3 times a day, including really late at night. I never see water coming from anywhere. Sometimes its totally dry for days, or one or two small wet patches or sometimes a bigger patch. I know some of it is water from their bowl. I have seen them knock it. I don't understand why their mat sometimes gets wet and I never see water around it or their throw on the hutch but the hutch is dry. They do sit on it most of the day. I don't know if it wee or not. Its always covered in poo and shake it out. I have to wash it every second day. Every day if its wet.

Bluesmum
16-01-2013, 07:10 PM
Good idea. No hose but I have a bucket. Its just so weird. I go in there 3 times a day, including really late at night. I never see water coming from anywhere. Sometimes its totally dry for days, or one or two small wet patches or sometimes a bigger patch. I know some of it is water from their bowl. I have seen them knock it. I don't understand why their mat sometimes gets wet and I never see water around it or their throw on the hutch but the hutch is dry. They do sit on it most of the day. I don't know if it wee or not. Its always covered in poo and shake it out. I have to wash it every second day. Every day if its wet.

I know this sounds gross...but maybe try sniffing it to see if its wee? if you cant find the source of the water that's what I would assume.

Santa
16-01-2013, 07:25 PM
What exactly is getting damp and whereabouts are these patches? Is it that it feels damp or can you actually see puddles - and if puddles, where?

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 09:27 PM
I know this sounds gross...but maybe try sniffing it to see if its wee? if you cant find the source of the water that's what I would assume.

Sometimes it does. It did today, but the mat yesterday didn't.

What exactly is getting damp and whereabouts are these patches? Is it that it feels damp or can you actually see puddles - and if puddles, where?

Not puddles. Small wet patches, random but usually right in the middle of the floor. Always in the middle area, but they dry out quickly. Some are around the water bowl.

Stator
16-01-2013, 09:30 PM
How about this:
http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/garden-sheds+storage/windowless-value-tongue+groove-shed-4ft-x-6ft/invt/me00276/
You could add your own window in the door. £165 is a really good price for Tongue and Groove

Barn Yard Bunnies
16-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Update. Fed the bunnies about 20 minutes ago. I also bought a new torch, a RAC one which is powerful. I was only using a small one before. It lit up inside like a Christmas tree.

All the inside of the roof is covered in a think layer of ice. Came off on my finger like fine frost/powdery snow.

Is this normal ?

Daniel
17-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Update. Fed the bunnies about 20 minutes ago. I also bought a new torch, a RAC one which is powerful. I was only using a small one before. It lit up inside like a Christmas tree.

All the inside of the roof is covered in a think layer of ice. Came off on my finger like fine frost/powdery snow.

Is this normal ?

No, and it's hard to say without seeing the whole playhouse, each side, front and back, roof etc what could be the problem. The door, the roof, anyone could be the issue.

The roof is wet and is turning in to frost and the wetness could be from the roof timber being soaked before you changed the felt.

Barn Yard Bunnies
17-01-2013, 02:14 PM
No, and it's hard to say without seeing the whole playhouse, each side, front and back, roof etc what could be the problem. The door, the roof, anyone could be the issue.

The roof is wet and is turning in to frost and the wetness could be from the roof timber being soaked before you changed the felt.

The timber is almost like a kitchen surface. Has a green sort of shiny feel. At the very corners where the nails were it had turned black, but only a very small bit that over hung the roof. The felt was shoot, no doubt about that but the two boards seemed fine. Was a layer of dry mould but we cleaned it off.

So far today, everything is dry but its so cold the frost is still on the ceiling. I can still see my finger marks from last night. I will get a photo.

Daniel
17-01-2013, 04:19 PM
The timber is almost like a kitchen surface. Has a green sort of shiny feel. At the very corners where the nails were it had turned black, but only a very small bit that over hung the roof. The felt was shoot, no doubt about that but the two boards seemed fine. Was a layer of dry mould but we cleaned it off.

So far today, everything is dry but its so cold the frost is still on the ceiling. I can still see my finger marks from last night. I will get a photo.

The only sheet materials that i know is green is a type of chipboard? If that was it, it falls to pieces if it got too wet to much. Or laminated like kitchen worktop, if so Iíve not seen or heard of any reason that would be done for roof work less someone else did it themselves.

Barn Yard Bunnies
17-01-2013, 04:30 PM
The only sheet materials that i know is green is a type of chipboard? If that was it, it falls to pieces if it got too wet to much. Or laminated like kitchen worktop, if so Iíve not seen or heard of any reason that would be done for roof work less someone else did it themselves.

Not chipboard. It is really hard, it was difficult to hammer nails into and not as thick as chipboard.

Went out with camera, battery flat so charging. Took everything out to clean. Walls dry, floors dry, not a single wet patch but their throw on the base is wet again. :? Nothing around the base is wet, the inside is dry. But the throw has such a large wet patch. Not a small patch but HUGE. :? Surely they cannot wee that much. Was also covered in poo but that happens every day.

I am starting to wonder if they bother using the base that much and use the throw for their toilet. The base used to get covered in wee and poo but now its not dirty anymore. They have a litter tray and it did have poo and wee in it but not much.

I will use the flash and get photos and use the torch, when batteries are charged.

jasanpete
18-01-2013, 09:53 AM
I build sheds for a living and have done for 28 years. The frost inside is due to condensation freezing against the thin board. if the heat from the rabbits alone with the moisture of water bowls and pee condensates it will stick to the roof first and then freeze against the opposite temperature much like condensation in a kitchen would freeze on your window if the internal heat wasn't consistent.. Secondly the shed from Wilkinson is cheap, and you get what you pay for. The floor is solid sheet with scattered bearers and will sag in 18 months max, the general framework of the door is poor giving no diagonal support mean i can be twisted by hand or natural with weight of door and use. dont waste £165 when you can use a timber company to supply and install for you a much higher quality shed, longer lasting and twice the quality. if their isn't a leak any more in your current shed, your best bet is to buy a cheap tube oil heater and leave it on for 2-3 days. keep the door shut as much as possible, same kinda heater they use in greenhouses to protect from frost it will dry the area out but its difficult to get 100% success in the current climate, ideally you need to have a small vent somewhere allowing the humid air to leave and not settle but with the cold how it is, the heater simply wont be strong enough with vents, DON'T get paraffin heater the bunnies wont work too well with the fumes.

Our company doesn't cover your area we only cover Cambridgeshire and herts. Yes our 6 x 4 T&G is £299, but in comparison, the framing is thicker the cladding is thicker the whole shed is dip treated the floor is solid with 1 inch thick 6inch wide boards, the roof is built in framing sections not just a piece of board. and its delivered and erected. try find similar company nearer to you, Im sure there are companies out near you who offer free surveys to help tell you the problem, and free advice,

Again good luck with it maybe try the £20 heater for few days, Bunnies will enjoy the heat and it could save overall costs if it can eliminate the "leak" and restore strength to the wet roof,

www.littleport-timber-buildings.co.uk

Daniel
18-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Not chipboard. It is really hard, it was difficult to hammer nails into and not as thick as chipboard.

Went out with camera, battery flat so charging. Took everything out to clean. Walls dry, floors dry, not a single wet patch but their throw on the base is wet again. :? Nothing around the base is wet, the inside is dry. But the throw has such a large wet patch. Not a small patch but HUGE. :? Surely they cannot wee that much. Was also covered in poo but that happens every day.

I am starting to wonder if they bother using the base that much and use the throw for their toilet. The base used to get covered in wee and poo but now its not dirty anymore. They have a litter tray and it did have poo and wee in it but not much.

I will use the flash and get photos and use the torch, when batteries are charged.

Sorry can't help with the toilet habits, if it was me building a Playhouse to housed pets in, i would build it like a house and being a joiner i know the reason why. If i was you i would install between 6 to 8 vents on that playhouse two each side at the top. This would allow air to come in and go out the same direction which is what is needed to help with drying and ventilation. I would also raise the Playhouse of the ground more to allow the floor to dry out, but you have to find out if there is a leak somewhere or if the roof timber (that's if it is timber) needs to dry out.

Barn Yard Bunnies
18-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Sorry can't help with the toilet habits, if it was me building a Playhouse to housed pets in, i would build it like a house and being a joiner i know the reason why. If i was you i would install between 6 to 8 vents on that playhouse two each side at the top. This would allow air to come in and go out the same direction which is what is needed to help with drying and ventilation. I would also raise the Playhouse of the ground more to allow the floor to dry out, but you have to find out if there is a leak somewhere or if the roof timber (that's if it is timber) needs to dry out.

I have the photos now. It started snowing this morning for the first time so you cannot see the new roof work we did.

Blanket on the base is dry but for some reason they never pee on this one, its the leopard print one they pee on. Vet bed dry. There is a small amount of water on the floor but that was directly under their water bowl, which I moved but photographed anyway.

The part of the roof that overhangs the verandah.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09872.jpg

Inside - you can see my finger marks from two days ago. The two lines.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09876.jpg
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09875.jpg

Their base. They get up there all the time but when I come out they usually go back into the base.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09878.jpg

Windows on each side. I sealed the bottoms with tape. The windows are plastic.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09877.jpg

The other window
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb340/amandagood7/DSC09879-1.jpg

Daniel
18-01-2013, 11:41 AM
The roof don't look to bad, to me it looks like chipboard or OSB. It's not MDF is it?

From the pictures, i would say it's not the roof that leaking, it be lack of ventilation. Like the shed guy said its condensation forming on the roof and as it's cold it turning to frost.

I would fit vents to each side, i would personally fit two each side just under the roof, let says
20cm down, one left and one right. Now repeat that each side, so front, back, left side and right side.

That will allow the air to come in and out in the same direction which is what you need when dry timber out and keep good ventilation which helps stops what happening to you.

However as it's cold and wet it take a while to dry out.

Barn Yard Bunnies
18-01-2013, 11:51 AM
The roof don't look to bad, to me it looks like chipboard or OSB. It's not MDF is it?

From the pictures, i would say it's not the roof that leaking, it be lack of ventilation. Like the shed guy said its condensation forming on the roof and as it's cold it turning to frost.

I would fit vents to each side, i would personally fit two each side just under the roof, let says
20cm down, one left and one right. Now repeat that each side, so front, back, left side and right side.

That will allow the air to come in and out in the same direction which is what you need when dry timber out and keep good ventilation which helps stops what happening to you.

However as it's cold and wet it take a while to dry out.

Thanks for all your help, so much appreciated.

I really don't know what it is. I don't know what OSB is. Its quite thin but very hard.

We will go around the corner to the local DIY shop tomorrow, he is excellent and supplies everything you can think of.

Do you mean the white plastic vents ? and cut out in the wood ?

Daniel
18-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Thanks for all your help, so much appreciated.

I really don't know what it is. I don't know what OSB is. Its quite thin but very hard.

We will go around the corner to the local DIY shop tomorrow, he is excellent and supplies everything you can think of.

Do you mean the white plastic vents ? and cut out in the wood ?

Yes, you have to cut a hole in the wood so the air can get in and happy to help. :D

Barn Yard Bunnies
18-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Yes, you have to cut a hole in the wood so the air can get in and happy to help. :D

Many thanks. :D Sometimes its the simple problems you don't even realise. Its a nice shed and the bunnies love it in there. I did think about bringing them in but they hated it inside, especially Bandit the big boy. They have been so much happier out there. Sometimes I open the door and they look like they have partied. They even manage to drag the top off the base.