• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cat 'hugging' a rabbit

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
I came across this photo on one of the very many rabbit related pages on facebook and this photo was on there...

21cfr5f.jpg

There was a bit of a debate about this and if the cat was biting the rabbit, if the rabbit looked scared etc.

I don't really know what to say about this but thought I would post here and share really. I don't think this bunny is a fan of the hug but then again i'm not sure?

I don't know who's pets these are I just thought I would see your opinions :wave:

All I know is if a cat had my rabbit like that I would not be stopping to take a photo. Cats carry so much bacteria that even a small scratch or bite is enough to do real damage, there doesn't have to be any malice behind it.

Last edited:
When one of my cats does that to another one (quite frequently) I usually tap one on the shoulder and say "no". It is usually in play but frequently the hugger will nip or scratch the huggee moments later. I think the rabbit is likely to get at least lightly bitten or scratched. I'd worry if one of my cats was doing it to a rabbit and I'd separate them carefully but immediately.

ETA: and thinking a bit more about it, rabbits being prey animals, even if the cat is part of the family and the rabbit is used to it, I'm sure instinctively the rabbit would tend to panic when a predator has it's teeth around the throat (which is usually what's going on when my cats assume that position). If the rabbit panics, then the predator's instincts are likely to kick in.

Last edited:
All I know is it a cat had my rabbit like that I would not be stopping to take a photo. Cats carry so much bacteria that even a small scratch or bite is enough to do real damage, there doesn't have to be any malice behind it.

:thumb:

I' d say this is completely inappropriate.

Rabbits and cats live alongside each other, but only if they're respectful of each other's space, and this cat is clearly overly interested in the rabbit and the rabbit should be given its own space

I know how my cat plays too and although to him it's playing to a rabbit it isn't.

If my cat did this to any of my rabbits I would separate the two!

It doesn't look like the rabbit is unhappy to me. If this were one of mine, for example, they wouldn't be sticking round long enough for a picture to be taken, they'd nip and run straight away. If bunny is sticking around, doesn't seem like he minds that much.

However, as BattleKat says, there doesn't have to be any malice in it for there to be harm caused, so I wouldn't allow it myself.

Yeah, this is why I don't let my cat near my rabbits. To my cat that would just be "playing" but I don't think my rabbits would agree.

My cat will play with me like that and although he doesn't mean to hurt, sometimes he does break the skin when he gets carried away, and rabbits are a lot more delicate than me.

I know how my cat plays too and although to him it's playing to a rabbit it isn't.If my cat did this to any of my rabbits I would separate the two!

Exactly. The cat in the pic is doing just as my two young cats do to each other when they are play fighting. Not appropriate for a cat to be doing this to a rabbit. :(

My cat plays like this, and personally I wouldn't stop it. He does this to the dogs, other cats, and would probably do it to the rabbits too if I ever left them together. As long as its supervised, I don't mind. My rabbits would kick him if it got to much for them.

My cats have never done this to any of my rabbits and matilda and grayson share my room with up to 5 cats!

try telling darcy and grayson they can't be together

9715_4996105179043_1877199243_n.jpg

391931_4996104339022_245433866_n.jpg

that's a typical cat playing pose. Teeth out and nipping (although gentle compared to a real attack) front claws out to grip and then the back paws will start kicking. I wouldn't let mine do it but I do let the cats in with the rabbits as long as I am there to observe.

emmie, no one has said cats and rabbits should be kept separate ;) just saying that they don't let their cats and rabbits play

My cat and rabbit were inseperable, they spent all their time together, and were regularly "at it":oops: my rabbit was the culprit though he kept wanting to mate with the cat. I don't like the look of that picture my cat does that to my leg when he wants to play, it blimmin hurts sometimes.

125841805.jpg

125841775.jpg

124458959.jpg

Last edited:
My cat and rabbit were inseperable, they spent all their time together, and were regularly "at it":oops: my rabbit was the culprit though he kept wanting to mate with the cat. I don't like the look of that picture my cat does that to my leg when he wants to play, it blimmin hurts sometimes.

125841805.jpg

125841775.jpg

124458959.jpg

:love::love::love:

I have 3 cats and they see the buns everyday and Ruby bun loves Vitani and they cuddle up, but if I saw that I would intervene as, like what others have said, when a cat gets into play mode they can hurt by accident and i'd hate for my buns to be injured from something like this

125841805.jpg

125841775.jpg

124458959.jpg

HAHA I love this :lol:

I let my cat and rabbits around each other, my cats scared of everything though so he usually jumps onto something high when any of the buns go over to investigate him :lol: I would never get a photo of my cat like the ones posted by RU members because he wont go near them :lol:

HAHA I love this :lol:

I let my cat and rabbits around each other, my cats scared of everything though so he usually jumps onto something high when any of the buns go over to investigate him :lol: I would never get a photo of my cat like the ones posted by RU members because he wont go near them :lol:

What is it with cats being scared of the rabbits?! My girls are all terrified :lol: Oscar hasn't decided yet but keeps trying to pat them as they go by :roll:

years ago I used to have a rabbit that had the run of the garden, she used to run up to the cats (not mine but those that came in the garden) butt them up the bum and scare them off, was quite funny to watch.
My cat mischeif does this to harvest, I have checked on several occasions and there are no marks on the bun, its just play but when I see her doing it I shout no and she gets off, she goes from playing with harvest to grooming her!

Emmiiee*, that centre photo is hilarious... what a tolerant cat... :lol:

*E2A: I did mean Sally !

Last edited:
Back