• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stroke/Paralysis

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
Mona bunny (almost 11 years old) went to the vet yesterday for her glaucoma check up and what we thought would be confirmation of arthritis or at worst E.C. She had been lifting one of her back feet on Sunday and then by Tuesday she was dragging it and standing rather lopsided

I was totally floored when the vet said she had probably suffered a stroke or (although he said this is less likely) rabbit posterior/caudal paralysis. She did a walking test and some other mobility tests. She is also going to goo back for more tests (bloods etc) just to confirm but in the meantime she has come away with some Fortekor and Prednisolone. So she is paralysed in one corner of her rear and back foot. As such she is now an indoor bun and so far coping ok. I have created a pen with lots of soft fleecy blankets for her to chill out on and I have put a heater beside (not inside) the pen to keep her warm as she refuses to use the snugglesafe.

She is a real trier, pulling herself around and stretching and cleaning on three legs and we hope she will make a decent recovery. She is eating well and seems fairly bright in herself otherwise. But is there anything extra I can do? Anything herbal that can be given or can she be massaged or encouraged to use her leg again or should I leave her to bedrest and let the meds do their thing?

Sorry - have no advice as hopelessy inexperienced but didn't want to just read and run.

Hope she will be okay - sending lots of vibes.

No advice either but sending Mona healing vibes for her leg.

Did the vet give any idea what the long term effects of a stroke are ?

Thanks guys. Mona seems to be about the same today. She rests a lot and drags herself around. She won't eat too much unless offered but then she will have a good mouthful and she wolfed down her rocket. I have also introduced porridge which she enjoyed. She is a bit thin these days so I hope that will help.

The vet said she might make a 90% recovery over the coming weeks but he does reckon she will always drag her foot a little from now on. Although she seems bright and glossy I am worried this is a sign that her body is giving up as she is very old.

Its hard seeing her so helpless :(

Back