• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch covers up or down?

Joh619

Alpha Buck
My bunnies are currently outside in a playhouse which doesn't have an attached run yet, so they just have a shelf at the window height where they can look outside. We've got a DIY cover for the window (which is actually a square of Megazorb bag) to keep the cold and wind out a bit. It's got a bit of a gap so they still get air, and as it's clear/white they do get a bit of light through it. The've got loads of hay, 2 vet beds and a snuggle safe in the bottom of the playhouse to keep them warm.

I just wanted to check if people leave their covers up or down during the day in this kind of weather? I left it up yesterday so they get some sunlight, but I didn't get home from work until 9. My OH was home but he's broken his ankle and he can't get up the steps in the garden with all the ice and snow :(

I've left it down today, but I feel bad with them not getting as much light in their playhouse :( But it was really cold this morning.

I put the covers down at about 10pm after ive done it heatpods and normally lift them about 11am, once the morning cold has lifted

mine go up at 7am (just before i leave for work) and go down around 9pm.

But they are both in huff at the moment after they both slipped off the same plant pot yesterday afternoon in the snow...:lol:

mine go up at 7am (just before i leave for work) and go down around 9pm.

But they are both in huff at the moment after they both slipped off the same plant pot yesterday afternoon in the snow...:lol:

Same here, the covers on our hutches goes up about 7.30am and then go down around 9-9.30pm. This is generally when we put them to bed with their snugglesafes to keep them warm overnight.

Also we have a a double layer tarpaulin setup with a blanket inbetween:
Bottom layer - goes about half way and allows the rabbits to look out and we put down if it snows or wet weather, otherwise it stays up.
Top layer - full length, goes down on a night.
Blanket - gets put down on a night if really cold.

Back