• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The 'de-freezing water' thread

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
I need ideas on how to keep water unfrozen, as I tried a ping pong ball last night in their bowls but it didn't work and froze in the bowl with the water.

How do you do it?:wave:

I go out around 10pm bring in water bowls let the hot water run on them till dishes are hottish then I put some boiling water in from kettle top up with cold so the water is just warm my bunnys love warm water :) then I stand the bowl on a snugglesafe and they usually last till I get up around 5/6 am :)

I have 3 sets of bowls & bottles so I can change over at 5am, 6pm & 11pm. Bottles have bubble wrap & a sock around them. Bowls are in sleeping compartments & have hay & a snugglesafe around them - the group's bowl is on a snugglesafe. Everybun's water was ok this morning - although some surface ice had been broken by the buns:lol:

I've tried so many things to stop water bowls freezing in the sheds and the only thing I've found that's failsafe is heated sheds. So now each shed has a tubular greenhouse heater installed which keeps the ambient temperature at around 1-2 degrees above freezing.

Here's what I've tried:-

Insulated shed
Hot Water
Glycerin (food standard) in water
Ping Pong Ball in water
Standing bowl on hot snugglesafe
Standing bowl on carpet
Burying bowl in masses of hay/straw
Changing bowl 3 or 4 times a day in prolonged sub-zero temps
Standing bowl on hot brick
Covering bowl in insulated material

None of the above worked :(, hence the heated sheds. Now I no longer have to worry :D.

I dont! I just defrost them in the morning, they are fine without water for afew hours, I give them veg rinced in water before bed so they have enough to keep them going x

For those with power to their buns I cannot recommend this highly enough. It is a heated water bowl and the buns are drinking so much more water out of it when it is warm than their close to freezing bowls. I bought it from Amazom.com and it worked out at £25ish.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=heated+water+bowl

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

just been outside and the water is frozen again:roll: Is it just basic Cranberry juice people use? how much?:wave:

im also wondering this.

the problem im having is that the spouts are freezing but the water in the bottle isnt. my rabbits have no clue how to drink from bowls as ive tried it before.

I thought about hot water but hot water freezes quicker than cold so i decided against it.

im just going out several times a day to check it

I think I'd offer a bowl aswell. Even if your bunnies aren't fussed about it at least its there if they are desperate. Even if it freezes they can lick the ice. I'm not sure there is anything you can do to stop the spouts freezing.

im also wondering this.

the problem im having is that the spouts are freezing but the water in the bottle isnt. my rabbits have no clue how to drink from bowls as ive tried it before.

I thought about hot water but hot water freezes quicker than cold so i decided against it.

im just going out several times a day to check it

How can that be true? It defies the laws of science surely?! Or am I being really thick?!

with accompanying patronising tone and sigh of haughty derision :roll: :lol: Sorry for being thick! :oops:

It's everybody's first reaction... from 5 minutes of Googling I couldn't find 'why' just 'it does.. probably'... maybe if you ask Sheldon nicely he will explain it to you.... or perhaps you don't need to know why that badly :lol::lol:

I was thinking of putting a cardboard box in the shed with a snugglesafe underneath the bowl of water. Perhaps this might give added insulation... Last night I had a snugglesafe under a metal/plastic dog bowl and it didnt freeze. Meant to be -8 tonight though.. Hmmm havent a clue how things will go

I re fill bowls at about 10pm again I run the bowl under hot tap till bowl is warm then I put hot water in from kettle and fill with cold water so the water is warm in bowl then I put it on a snugglesafe and it was still ok this morning at 8am :)

I *think* it was jackaroonie who gave a pretty good explanation on why warm water freezes quicker :p

I've put a ping pong ball in their bowl and I put their 2 heat pads around the front of it. I also managed to get a water bottle on the barrier in front of the shed door for them. No doubt it will freeze again!

They drink after they've eaten so I don't worry too much.

I just let it freeze and then make sure they get fresh first thing in the morning. They are not going to dehydrate overnight.

I put new bottles out about 10pm with some damp leafy veg and carrot to help keep them hydrated. Then I swap the bottles for fresh ones at about 7:30am.

Back