• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit pulling out hair

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
My female rabbit, neutered, and lives with a male, seems to be pulling out clumps of her hair around her neck when she reaches around and toward her bun. Any idea what is going on? Thanks

Sounds like nesting to me.
Was she with the male before being spayed?
Are you 100% sure she is spayed?- may sound like a silly question but this happened before we got Cookie. We were due to adopt her from a rescue. Her previous owners saidshe was spayed when they gave her up but a couple of days before we were due to 4ck her up she started nesting, turned out she wasnt spayed!!

Also if she has been spayed while with you how long ago was this?
Rabbits can retain some hormones a while after neutering, my vet said I might have to wait 6 months before noticing a change in Zakura's aggression. Thankfully it didn't take her that long :lol:
Males can even impregnate females up to 6 weeks after neutering, naturally females can't get neutered while they're missing their ovaries but the hormones and instincts still remain.

Also if she has been spayed while with you how long ago was this?
Rabbits can retain some hormones a while after neutering, my vet said I might have to wait 6 months before noticing a change in Zakura's aggression. Thankfully it didn't take her that long :lol:
Males can even impregnate females up to 6 weeks after neutering, naturally females can't get neutered while they're missing their ovaries but the hormones and instincts still remain.

It was done 2 years ago

Even thought she is spayed, female rabbits can have 'false pregnancies', so they would pull fur and nest, but have no kits. All you can do is leave them to it.

If there is also flaky skin, I would consider fur mites, sometimes called walking dandruff. Can you post a photo? This is a great example of fur mites. They are treated with a course of Ivermectin but I would see your vet to have it diagnosed.

Back