PDA

View Full Version : What hay is good at the moment?

SarahP
15-01-2013, 01:03 PM
I use Oxbow timothy for Cassie (guinea pig - yes, I know I've put this in Rabbit Chat! :D), but I'm looking for something available in small quantities, that's good quality at the moment, for a bit of variety.

Her criteria is:
1. Must be long - not lots of short bits
2. Coarse texture preferred
3. Not a cereal hay (which she loves, but it's no good for her bladder)

Thanks. :)

wendle
15-01-2013, 01:06 PM
Tymothy and rye from hayforpets is great long and stalky my bunnys love it :wave:

http://www.hayforpets.co.uk/products.html

jazxo
15-01-2013, 01:56 PM
Tymothy and rye from hayforpets is great long and stalky my bunnys love it :wave:

I second this :)

Kermit
15-01-2013, 02:29 PM

I second this :)

I third it :)

SarahP
15-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Thanks. :) I'm going to order some samples, so Miss Fussichops can see what their hays are like at the moment (she went off the meadow hay before).

tonibun
15-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I buy Pure Pastures from Scats and have just opened a bag which smells euphoric!

Santa
15-01-2013, 06:39 PM
I've got some of all 3 of the hayforpets stuff here and a meadow and a timothy bale from Lt Burstead if you want to try a wadge of each?

SarahP
15-01-2013, 06:50 PM
I've got some of all 3 of the hayforpets stuff here and a meadow and a timothy bale from Lt Burstead if you want to try a wadge of each?

Aww thanks. :) I definitely can't get through a bale of hay at a time at the moment. Do they sell bags at Little Burstead? I've still not been.

fruitandnutcake
15-01-2013, 06:52 PM
I third it :)

I fourth it :lol::lol::lol: Well, actually my 4 buns & 2 piggies do! But I get mine in the 9.5KG bag...not sure if it comes in smaller sizes.

Santa
15-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Aww thanks. :) I definitely can't get through a bale of hay at a time at the moment. Do they sell bags at Little Burstead? I've still not been.

Yes I think they do, they're about 1.50 for a bag I seem to recall (always worth ringing to check stock levels before you go though!) My bale of timothy will take me aeons to get through though (mine all prefer the meadow at the moment!) so you're welcome to try a chunk if you're passing this way any time soon - only thing is the bits aren't what I'd describe as 'long'. They're not chopped like the packed pet shop type hay, but they aren't full length strands either. They're about 6" each strand, at a guess?

Hele
15-01-2013, 06:58 PM
I fourth it :lol::lol::lol: Well, actually my 4 buns & 2 piggies do! But I get mine in the 9.5KG bag...not sure if it comes in smaller sizes.

It does, in a 1.8kg bag and a 4.5kg bag. BUT the smaller bags are much more expensive as the postage prices still have to be covered.

My buns say the Ings hay is much nicer than the Timothy and rye... But that's just them! :lol:

SarahP
15-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes I think they do, they're about 1.50 for a bag I seem to recall (always worth ringing to check stock levels before you go though!) My bale of timothy will take me aeons to get through though (mine all prefer the meadow at the moment!) so you're welcome to try a chunk if you're passing this way any time soon - only thing is the bits aren't what I'd describe as 'long'. They're not chopped like the packed pet shop type hay, but they aren't full length strands either. They're about 6" each strand, at a guess?

That sounds good. :) Thanks for that. I'd obviously buy it from you.

Santa
15-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Well a whole bale is only a fiver so even with an enormous chunk it probably wouldn't be more than 1's worth, so I'm sure I can cope ;) Or I can swap it for a chocolate bar :lol:

SarahP
15-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Well a whole bale is only a fiver so even with an enormous chunk it probably wouldn't be more than 1's worth, so I'm sure I can cope ;) Or I can swap it for a chocolate bar :lol:

You can count the strands and price 'em up. :D I was just thinking if I were to buy some of it, it might help you get through it a bit quicker and solve my problem of only needing a small amount too.

SarahP
16-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Here is Cassie sampling Santa's hay:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b94/pelicano1/Casshay_zps9550f221.jpg

She gives it a paws up so far, although I fear the novelty effect! :D

KarenM
17-01-2013, 07:06 AM
:love::love: We love the timothy hay from there too (well, not me personally, just the bunnies) so hopefully it isn't just a novelty for Cassie. :lol:

Boudicca
17-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Awe shes beautiful :love::love:

Santa
17-01-2013, 12:21 PM
:love::love: We love the timothy hay from there too (well, not me personally, just the bunnies) so hopefully it isn't just a novelty for Cassie. :lol:

I think it looks horrible though at the moment, it's all yellow and crunchy, but the bunnies seem to be loving it! Can't complain for a fiver though :lol: Fortunately, I'm also finding that the meadow hay is excellent, beautifully fresh and green, which is a relief as so many people seem to be having real problems getting decent hay. Have any of the Essex types had hay from Button Farm - it's on the A128 near the junction with the A127 (just before the turning for Lt Burstead)...they also seem to do Meadow and Timothy hay, so I wonder if they use the same supplier, or indeed if one makes it and sells it to the other?

cpayne
17-01-2013, 12:30 PM
I guess they don't post?

Santa
17-01-2013, 12:32 PM
No, it's just a normal farm shop. It's still about 45 minutes away from me but fortunately my brother lives about 15 minutes the other side of it, so I can combine family duties with hay shopping :lol:

KarenM
17-01-2013, 02:18 PM
I think it looks horrible though at the moment, it's all yellow and crunchy, but the bunnies seem to be loving it! Can't complain for a fiver though :lol: Fortunately, I'm also finding that the meadow hay is excellent, beautifully fresh and green, which is a relief as so many people seem to be having real problems getting decent hay. Have any of the Essex types had hay from Button Farm - it's on the A128 near the junction with the A127 (just before the turning for Lt Burstead)...they also seem to do Meadow and Timothy hay, so I wonder if they use the same supplier, or indeed if one makes it and sells it to the other?

That's true actually - I got a bale of each last time I went and the meadow looks much nicer than the timothy (usually it seems to be the other way around) but the bunnies don't seem to have noticed the difference. :lol::lol:

I didn't know they sold timothy at Button Farm too but I got a bale of meadow hay from them a couple of summers ago when Little Burstead had run out. I thought it looked ok but the bunnies didn't seem as keen - it could have just been an 'off' bale or something though. :? Little Burstead make their own timothy hay - when I went in the summer it was all drying out in the field to the left as you go in. :D

sammywoo
17-01-2013, 05:01 PM
The best hay I've had so far is from dust free hay. I ordered the American Timothy and the buns went nuts for it. Our recent hay for pets order (Timothy and Rye) is nowhere near as good. The buns still go nuts for it, they love any food though :) x

SarahP
21-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Cassie is currently munching her way through her sample packs from Hay for Pets. I am expecting to hear piggy marks out of 10 shortly...