• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What hay is good at the moment?

SarahP

Wise Old Thumper
I use Oxbow timothy for Cassie (guinea pig - yes, I know I've put this in Rabbit Chat! :D), but I'm looking for something available in small quantities, that's good quality at the moment, for a bit of variety.

Her criteria is:
1. Must be long - not lots of short bits
2. Coarse texture preferred
3. Not a cereal hay (which she loves, but it's no good for her bladder)

Thanks. :)

Thanks. :) I'm going to order some samples, so Miss Fussichops can see what their hays are like at the moment (she went off the meadow hay before).

I've got some of all 3 of the hayforpets stuff here and a meadow and a timothy bale from Lt Burstead if you want to try a wadge of each?

I've got some of all 3 of the hayforpets stuff here and a meadow and a timothy bale from Lt Burstead if you want to try a wadge of each?

Aww thanks. :) I definitely can't get through a bale of hay at a time at the moment. Do they sell bags at Little Burstead? I've still not been.

Aww thanks. :) I definitely can't get through a bale of hay at a time at the moment. Do they sell bags at Little Burstead? I've still not been.

Yes I think they do, they're about £1.50 for a bag I seem to recall (always worth ringing to check stock levels before you go though!) My bale of timothy will take me aeons to get through though (mine all prefer the meadow at the moment!) so you're welcome to try a chunk if you're passing this way any time soon - only thing is the bits aren't what I'd describe as 'long'. They're not chopped like the packed pet shop type hay, but they aren't full length strands either. They're about 6" each strand, at a guess?

I fourth it :lol::lol::lol: Well, actually my 4 buns & 2 piggies do! But I get mine in the 9.5KG bag...not sure if it comes in smaller sizes.

It does, in a 1.8kg bag and a 4.5kg bag. BUT the smaller bags are much more expensive as the postage prices still have to be covered.

My buns say the Ings hay is much nicer than the Timothy and rye... But that's just them! :lol:

Yes I think they do, they're about £1.50 for a bag I seem to recall (always worth ringing to check stock levels before you go though!) My bale of timothy will take me aeons to get through though (mine all prefer the meadow at the moment!) so you're welcome to try a chunk if you're passing this way any time soon - only thing is the bits aren't what I'd describe as 'long'. They're not chopped like the packed pet shop type hay, but they aren't full length strands either. They're about 6" each strand, at a guess?

That sounds good. :) Thanks for that. I'd obviously buy it from you.

Well a whole bale is only a fiver so even with an enormous chunk it probably wouldn't be more than £1's worth, so I'm sure I can cope ;) Or I can swap it for a chocolate bar :lol:

Well a whole bale is only a fiver so even with an enormous chunk it probably wouldn't be more than £1's worth, so I'm sure I can cope ;) Or I can swap it for a chocolate bar :lol:

You can count the strands and price 'em up. :D I was just thinking if I were to buy some of it, it might help you get through it a bit quicker and solve my problem of only needing a small amount too.

Here is Cassie sampling Santa's hay:

Casshay_zps9550f221.jpg

She gives it a paws up so far, although I fear the novelty effect! :D

:love::love: We love the timothy hay from there too (well, not me personally, just the bunnies) so hopefully it isn't just a novelty for Cassie. :lol:

:love::love: We love the timothy hay from there too (well, not me personally, just the bunnies) so hopefully it isn't just a novelty for Cassie. :lol:

I think it looks horrible though at the moment, it's all yellow and crunchy, but the bunnies seem to be loving it! Can't complain for a fiver though :lol: Fortunately, I'm also finding that the meadow hay is excellent, beautifully fresh and green, which is a relief as so many people seem to be having real problems getting decent hay. Have any of the Essex types had hay from Button Farm - it's on the A128 near the junction with the A127 (just before the turning for Lt Burstead)...they also seem to do Meadow and Timothy hay, so I wonder if they use the same supplier, or indeed if one makes it and sells it to the other?

No, it's just a normal farm shop. It's still about 45 minutes away from me but fortunately my brother lives about 15 minutes the other side of it, so I can combine family duties with hay shopping :lol:

Back