• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandruff - flaky skin - NOT CHEYLETIELLA

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
My beautiful lionlop has developed very flaky dandruff like skin on her back - she is regularly groomed - any advice? I can only think of possible mites but I don't think it is this - I am thinking of taking her to the vets today or tomorrow but wanted to ask is this fairly common?? Thanks

Last edited:
One of my rabbits regularly gets this around his shoulders particularly when he is moulting. I did get him checked for mites even though he wasn't itchy, but it wasn't them, and the vet said that it was it because it was an area he couldn't reach to groom (his current mate isn't very good at grooming, his previous one was and he never had this problem while she was alive). So regular dry skin, but because he is quite fuzzy, it didn't fall out of his fur on its own - which I imagine could also be a problem with a lionhead.

It could e dry skin but I would get it checked out as it might be the mite Cheyelletellia (wrong spelling) and it isn't common really but easily eradicated with Ivermectin.

All my small pets get this occasionally and it's lice, one treatment and they're back to normal.

I can't say the same for me though, I'm allergic to lice bites and end up with huge red welts!

Does your bun live inside? Radiators etc are drying on skin. My guys have never had lice. I had no idea they were so common. Urh!:shock:

Id be thinking Cheyletiellosis (fur mites) also. Its nicknamed walking dandruff because of its appearence.

Does your bun live inside? Radiators etc are drying on skin. My guys have never had lice. I had no idea they were so common. Urh!:shock:

My pets all get it off the lawn. We have badgers, hedgehogs and foxes in my garden at night so I dare say they spread them.

Took Blossom to the vets yesterday - her 'dandruff' is quite 'bad' but I cannot see any mites and under the microscope the vet couldn't see any in the skin flakes either - if it is just dry scaly skin down her back mainly - what would you advise to put on it if anything?? Thanks She is also an outdoor bun living with her little Nethie husbun who doesn't have any symptomsof the same either

Did your vet not recomend anything?

Bracken had fruciderm for her wet exzma (sp) which was really effective but I think its steriod based so would be prescription only.

He wasn't in today and it was really busy till late last night - I will be checking though with him - just wondered if anyone had any advice of this with their buns

Back