• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The big ducks

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
I've taken the big ducks inside because Qaffle, the duck on the left, has arthritis and is struggling with the cold and mud. He's getting on for a big breed and couldn't get into the tray to bathe. I may take in the wee ducks tomorrow if it continues to get cold. They do have houses outside, but unlike hens, ducks will sit outside in the freezing cold, while hens will come out to feed and then go back inside.
D22B6699-090D-4683-8AC3-AD9B560BB677-183-0000017910C0120D.jpg

Quaffle, Buttercup, Quackers and Smokey.

Smokey is sometimes a bit alienated, she's a Muscovy.
Quaffle is a saxony drake, Buttercup is a commercial laying duck ( a cherry valley) and Quackers is a hand reared mallard who did not want to return to the wild.

Looks like they're much cosier indoors. :D Quaffle is gorgeous, sorry to hear he's struggling. How cold is it where you are?

I must say though my hens refuse to stay indoors in freezing temperatures too. In all the time we've had them they've only refused to go out once, and that was when they would have had to step straight in to deep snow (one had a go and freaked out :lol:)

It's about - 2 at the moment, not very cold but things are so wet the animals are walking in mud all the time. I think it's the cold and damp that has bothered him.
One of the wee ducks is 9 and another is 8 so I think I'll take them in too.
It's ridiculous- I have the gander, the quail, the wood pigeon, Tiny Tim and now the ducks inside!
The chickens are, at most 5 hens in a 6x4 shed, so they have plenty of space indoors if they don't want to go out. The bantams are in a covered aviary on a concrete base to keep them out of the mud.
It's due to get down to -5 over the next few nights.

Aw they are so cute. I love ducks - the way the waddle around is just adorable. They look so cosy indoors.

Back