• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rescuedthe FB bunnie poor thing * Updated with pics*

curlyanwurly

Warren Scout
I put a post on here the other day about a rabbit being given away on fb, well tonight we went and got him, well my OH did, he is a lovely looking bunny and is already happy for me to stroke him, he came with a huge double hutch and the top part he has stomped so hard its made a whole although its a very flimsy wood but the whole is there with all jagged bits then the bit which should be his bed with the solid door had no sawdust, hay , paper etc in its just full of his wee and very stinky, the bottom bit is all wire even on the ends so would have been really cold in the wind and shes just filled that with hay I guess at an attempt to keep him warm. So we have put sawdust and hay in the top bit, hopefully going to clean it somhow tomoro to try and get rid o fthe wee smell, trouble is in this weather it wont dry very well so not really sure how to deal with that yet, I have left all the hay in the bottom for now as it looks fairly clean and I wante dhim to have some farmilar smells, we have coverd the hutch with some tarporlin to keep the wind of and feed him and give him fresh water, my OH will fix the top floor hopefully at the weekend, I am also going to attach a run to the side of the hutch so he can use that too then he will have contact with my other bunnies, hes not been done so thats somthing else to look in to. with any luck I can litter train him so he wont wee in his bed eventually and I will wean him off a whole bowl of pellets eventualy then he can have hay and an egg cup of pellets like my others plus I wil introduce greens etc gradually as I dont know if he's had these before either.
poor little thing must have been so frozen and lonely, hopefully now he can at least chat to my other rabbits through the bars then eventually can have a friend too.

Last edited:
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek - cant wait to see him! Whats his name?:love::love::love::love:

Bless you for taking him...he wont know whats in store for him living with you - he is gong to be so very happy!!!!!:love:

Id suggest cleaning out his cage with white vinegar...you can dilute it or just use it straight and wipe it over afterwards with a clean cloth. Its a mild disinfectant and will take the horrible wee smell out...in fact I'd use it straight just to neutralize the smell of wee if its really dirty and the wee is in the wood. It will also remove any calcium build up from the wee. You can use a hairdryer or something to try dry the wood out abit and if he isnt a chewer...then lay newspaper and then fleece on top to help pull the moisture out and the fleece will keep the top dry where he will sit etc.

I looked after a bun for a friedn who always wee'd in his bedroom - I eventually took a litter tray that fitted in there so he could still have a nice smelling bedroom area...if he is determined to use a litter tray there - it might help doing that till he learns what they about ...then he might just use another one downstairs under a hay rack.;)

Perhaps try and use Aubiose instead of sawdust....sawdust can cause respiratory issue in buns as its so dusty and they so close ot it breathing it in all the time. Aubiose if horse bedding, made form hemp and it costs about £10 for a big compressed bag. It lasts ages and its great as the wee gets absorbed to the bottom and the top stays dry - so wet feet for bunnies.:p

Perhaps a vet visit to make sure he is healthy before going near your own buns too.

I think there is a period of time to keep new buns isolated for health reasons too. Not sure - perhaps someone will help with that?

If he is underweight - a snuggle safe might help him maintain some body warmth too...though it depends if there is room for him to still be cosy and sheltered in an area where he doesnt have to use the snuggle safe if hes too hot.

aaaah- he sounds lovely....cant wait to see him! xxx:love::love::love:

Last edited:
well, heres biscuit
IMAG1535_zpsfb77f05a.jpg

and heres his hutch
IMAG1537_zps2c3240d2.jpg

and heres the hole!
IMAG1536_zps513a6635.jpg

What a handsome bun! So good of you to rescue him.

I would take extra precautions to prevent predictor attracts as that chicken wire is definitely not going to stop a fox.

he is gorgeous :love::love::love: I'd ditch the hutch personally..as dusty rabbit said, the chicken wire won't stop a fox..and to be honest I would always go for a double layer of weld mesh (one layer on inside, one on outside) as I've had piggies mauled through one layer of weld-mesh.

He is gorgeous! :love:

So pleased he's found a decent home to be loved and taken care of now...:thumb:

Look at his little white nose! :love::love:

Poor little thing must have been so stressed to make that big hole. :(

Glad he's found a lovely new home.

:love:

Back