• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help! Possible GI Stasis

KirstiRobinson

Warren Scout
Hi All,

My bunny Mojo stopped eating last night and hasn't pooed or eaten since then. He is very lethargic and un responsive and won't eat a single thing.
We took him to the vet first thing this morning who gave him a painkiller (one i've never heard of) and also an injection to get the gut moving.
We have been syringe feeding him small amounts of pineapple juice and also a supreme science recovery solution which I think is much like critical care?

I'm taking him back to the vet again first thing tomorrow, but I don't know what else to do for him in the mean time. I lost a bun last year to this and can't believe it's happening again!

I can't massage his tummy as he runs away and he just wants to sit on his own. A friend of mine also said it could be a blockage but the vet said his belly was only a little gassy
and not too bloated.

Please any advice would be much appreciated, I really don't want to lose him :(

If he has not passed any poo all day I would take him to the emergency Vet tonight

He sounds as though he requires more intensive treatment including fluids administered either subcutaneously or IV. Dehydration of gut contents occurs rapidly in cases of stasis, even if the Rabbit does not appear to be systemically dehydrated. Dehydration of gut contents exacerbates problems.

A blood glucose test could be helpful, a very high blood glucose could indicate an obstruction.

Ok, I rang my vet an hour or so ago and she did mention putting him on some fluids. I will also ask about glucose tests.
thanks for your help

Sending lots of vibes,, my bunny had this last week and is now well again so have hope!

Hugs to you

Ok, I rang my vet an hour or so ago and she did mention putting him on some fluids. I will also ask about glucose tests.
thanks for your help

Have they taken him in tonight? He really does need treatment as soon as possible and I would not wait until tomorrow.

When my little Cookie went into stasis, I managed to tempt her (hand feeding) with wet spinach. Sending vibes for bun xx

My bun currently recovering from stasis, know how awful and nerve wracking it is. Sending you loads of vibes, keep us updated x

Mojo went into the emergency vet last night and stayed over night, he was a little perkier this morning and we took him to our
normal vet who has also kept him in. I just spoke to her and she said his stomach is swollen, but he has now been to the toilet and is
eating hay. Please keep sending positive vibes that he is on the road to recovery!

I hope Mojo is recovering, did they say his tummy was swollen because of gas or something else?

If you have him home I would try and tempt him with herbs and maybe fresh grass, to get him eating. I always have infracol for gas on hand. I'm not saying to give him this instead of going to the vets though just if you he has it and you can't get him to the vets straight away.

What treatment did your bun have?

Painkillers, gut stimulants and antacids all by injection.

Fibreplex and critical care to be syringe fed with.

The vet allowed us to care for him at home as he is awfully behaved at the vets. We nursed him literally for at least 16 hours a day, coaxing him to eat little bits here and there and just letting him snuggle with us. Carrot tops and dandelion leaves were the first things he'd eat. Thankfully he's well now.

Back