• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

not been on her for ages- my rabbit needs a chest xray :-(

amme

Warren Scout
too him to the vets tonight as he has been sneezing and you can hear him breathing= which isn't good, He was sat on the vets table and you could hear him breathe, I picked him up to have his nails clipped and the breathing noise stopped instantly-we did this a few times ( sat him on the table his breathing was loud, picked him up his breathing went quiet) so vet has said to take him to have chest xray tomorrow morning- I am not looking forward to it really as i am bothered about the anesthetic as he is about 7yrs old now ( an old man). Going to have him inside tomorrow with a heat pad.

My rabbit (approx 8 years) old had x-rays in October...the vet only sedated her as he said anaesthesia when there is a pre-existing breathing problem is not advisable. If I'm not too late to post this perhaps you should ask for her just to be sedated? Fingers crossed for you xx

Poor soul :( Does the vet have any idea what is wrong? I agree with Alice's mum about the x-ray, some very good rabbits can manage fully conscious, some need sedated, but the truly nervous ones do need to be knocked out. The reason my previous bun didn't have an x-ray to diagnose her condition (which included sneezing and breathing probs) was because he didn't want to put her under in the state she was in and she was far too stressy to do it conscious. We started treatment for the condition we thought she had and thankfully she responded to it, which confirmed the diagnosis. Ultimately none of us know your situation though so if you are confident in your vet I'd trust their advice.

I've had several buns have chest xrays and none sedated. Generally they're not well anyway do propped up with towels. Vets really do avoid anaesthetics for things like xrays on buns where possible. I hope all goes well.

Back