• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Balance problems

heleni

Warren Scout
I took Button to the vet last week because his back legs seem to have got quite wobbly over the last month or two, and he is a sorry sight lurching his way down the run. When he get up he sometimes falls over on one side at his back end - probably not helped by having weak front legs following a general anaesthetic a year or so ago - and as he walks along, his rear end leans to one side, though the front end is normal. Anyhow, the vet checked him over and it turns out that actually his back legs are very strong (good kicking!), and he has no injuries, is eating and pooing well so the vet (who is rabbit savvy) has given him Metacam for two weeks - he reckons it is either an inner ear infection, or arthritis as he is getting to be an old man, so the Metacam should sort out the inflammation from either of those.

Has anyone else had a rabbit with an ear infection that caused balance problems? Should I be worried about EC - Button has lost 200g in just over 2 months, and I understand weight loss can be a symptom (could just be Oreo grabbing the food first though - she has gained weight over that period!) - even though the vet, who has previously wormed Button to be on the safe side, didn't mention it?

I'd ask the vet about the posibility of EC. Also if they are thinking ear infection I would've thought you'd need a antibiotic aswell as pain relief.

What vet do you use?

Golden Valley are good, especially if you can see David.

I see Mario at Watkins and Tasker - he's always been very good with my rabbits, and he noticed Button's lean immediately (I'd noticed him wobbling as he walks or gets up, but not that he leans when stationary). I did wonder about an antibiotic at the time but I wasn't sure if Metacam had an element of that in it or not. I'll try to get in touch with them and see what they say.

Metacam is a non steroid anti inflammatory so used for pain relief and inflammation.

I left Watkins and tasker after one of the vets made bracken cry, nearly injected me instead of her and told me it was ridiculous to spay a female bunny. To make it worse when I complained to the partners one of them was really rude told me my reasons for spaying was rubbish off an American website. She even emailed the rwaf to confirm the information I was giving her!

Hopefully your vet is fab, but we had such a bad experience there I moved to golden valley and it was the best thing I ever did.

Back