• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay feeding.

jazxo

Mama Doe
I feel like I'm wasting hay but as it's so cold and Pippin loves her hay so much I feel bad leaving her with for example, the huge pile of hay I put in the day before. I just take it out and give her fresh hay.

She never ever eats hay from a hay rack only from empty toilet roll tubes, cardboard boxes, hanging treat balls and in her hutch. Every day I fill up a small cardboard box, the hanging ball, 2-3 toilet roll tubes and put a big pile in her hutch. Sometimes she's eats almost all of it but sometimes she will leave a lot and won't eat it until I give her fresh hay. It doesn't get wet or anything but I'm getting through a colossal amount of hay because when she doesn't eat all of it I replenish it all with fresh hay instead of leaving the hay she left.

Sorry this makes pretty much no sense :lol: but basically my main question is should I be doing this or should I leave the hay in there and just put a little bit of new hay when I replenish everything?

I more or less do, I will leave what hay they don't eat in their hay balls for about 2 days and they eventually empty it, I do put a bit of fresh hay in there too. If they don't eat it in 2 days I will change it. Hay in the hay rack I do the same and then tubes stuffed with hay get changed daily, the hay from the tubes gets put in their litter tray along with fresh hay which they subsequently eat :roll:

:)

I feel like I'm wasting hay but as it's so cold and Pippin loves her hay so much I feel bad leaving her with for example, the huge pile of hay I put in the day before. I just take it out and give her fresh hay.

She never ever eats hay from a hay rack only from empty toilet roll tubes, cardboard boxes, hanging treat balls and in her hutch. Every day I fill up a small cardboard box, the hanging ball, 2-3 toilet roll tubes and put a big pile in her hutch. Sometimes she's eats almost all of it but sometimes she will leave a lot and won't eat it until I give her fresh hay. It doesn't get wet or anything but I'm getting through a colossal amount of hay because when she doesn't eat all of it I replenish it all with fresh hay instead of leaving the hay she left.

Sorry this makes pretty much no sense :lol: but basically my main question is should I be doing this or should I leave the hay in there and just put a little bit of new hay when I replenish everything?

Well you know how fussy buns are :roll::lol:

I normally give a big pile at night. So they can munch through the night. Then during the day, because I'm around most of the time, I give small handfuls of 'fresh' hay to keep them excited. I still chuck quite a bit hay away but I have dental buns so I would sooner offer them more fresh hay and waste the 'not so fresh' hay to help with teeth.

Every night I take away the old hay from there main eating area and stick in other parts of the hutch/room mine live in and I bin some.

But they definitely prefer fresh hay :lol:

I put the old hay in their litter tray and the new stuff in the hay rack.
If I were you I'd consider giving her less hay more frequently if that's possible as she might waste less.

I think I might waste alot too....I feed fresh hay every morning and evening...and again a handful at about 11pm...when I do snuggle safes. I empty the litter trays of wet/waste areas and any hay....so between three buns - I throw away a bucket full of hay every day. I empty the bedroom hay bit every 2 weeks when the bins go...that gets a fresh handful of hay every night when the snuggle safe goes in.
My brown bin is bursting after 2 weeks.....I think the buns just like fresh hay but dont eat it all....:roll::p

I put the old hay in their litter tray and the new stuff in the hay rack.
If I were you I'd consider giving her less hay more frequently if that's possible as she might waste less.

^^^^^^^this :thumb:. Yesterday's hay goes in litter trays as they get fresh hay for eating. Tomorrow, any uneaten goes in litter trays etc etc.

I waste loads as I tend to put in a handful of each type every day and then it just builds up and up and he flattens it so doesn't eat it, then I end up just with a huge amount and take it out and give it to the horse and it goes back to a small neat pile of each and the cycle starts again haha

^^^^^^^this :thumb:. Yesterday's hay goes in litter trays as they get fresh hay for eating. Tomorrow, any uneaten goes in litter trays etc etc.

Same here. Ludo falls for the 'I've taken it out and mixed it around a bit here's some new hay' trick as well.

Back