• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Holiday Arrangements for buns

sammywoo

Warren Scout
We are going away for 10 days at Easter, usually when we are away the in-laws come over once a day and replenish their hay, litter tray, water and feed them. This time I've made arrangements for the local rabbit hotel to come round and feed them both once a day and check on them. However, the buns usual routine is to have small amount of pellets morning and evening, veggies and forage late afternoon when I get home. I was wondering whether I should buy one of those timed feeders so they can have their food at the usual times? What would you recommend? I want someone checking on them daily but I'm very conscious they have their routine. Unfortunately can't afford 3 times daily visits. There is the option for them to go to the hotel but they'd hate being stuck in a hutch all day.

I don't mean to sound rude but I would want my bunnys checking on at least 3 times a day when I go away my hubby gets strict instructions to open them up first thing on a morning give them their pellets clean water bowls out and fresh water and refill all hay, then mid afternoon fresh water treat of either a fenugreek or herbs etc and more hay then around 7/8 o clock pellets fresh water and more hay and if its cold he has to do the snugglesafe as well for under the water bowls and for the bunnys :):wave:

I tried one of those timed feeders for Doughnut, not when I was away but just tried it out for when I had to work late, so if I was going to get home at 10 she could have had her pellets by 6. I put it in for a couple of days at the weekend but had to take it out. She smelt the pellets in there and went absolutely nuts trying to get to them. I felt it was cruel as she was clearly frustrated, so chucked it out.

Rabbits have such a great sense of smell, yours may be OK but they may well react like Doughnut did.

Could you have visits twice a day? Once a day would be a long time to go if there was a problem. The added bonus of twice daily visits is that they can open and close curtains and switch lights on and off, so the house will be a little safer.

Hmmm. They are free range indoor buns so there is no problem with them getting cold, the heating is kept on a medium temperature so they don't get cold. They have two big water bowls each so they have plenty and unlimited hay. We've been away for a week before and they've been absolutely fine being checked on once daily.

The problem is that in most boarding places the rabbits are kept in hutches and have regular time in a run outside. Mine have never been outside as we have an apartment without a garden. They would hate being enclosed all day in a strange environment.

I wonder if there's anyone on the forum that lives close to you and might be willing to pop by.

Personally I wouldn't ever leave mine with once daily checks. Aside from anything else mine would probably wee on their hay and end up starving for the rest of the day. When I go away I try to get them checked morning, afternoon and evening which is what they'd usually get, or if that's not possible I try for morning then late afternoon/early evening.

I'm near Epsom. Mine never have any problems like that, they pull all their hay out of the litter tray before going to the toilet in it :) They lean over the edge to pick up the clean hay to eat whilst doing their business! They are funny.

I will have a think about what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

We have the same problem as we also have free-range house rabbits. We are very lucky to have found an excellent boarding place with very large indoor pens which is absolutely perfect for T&F. They are over an hour away from us, but well worth the drive. Obviously they are nowhere near you, but I wonder if there might be somewhere similar suitable?

The only other place I have found with big enough indoor accommodation is mypetstop, which I think is also only in the north. They have heated cattery units that they use for buns. I have not used them as I do not think their rabbit knowledge is good enough. But it might be that there would be a cattery near you that could be an option?

Thankyou for the offer Nikki, is a shame we're not closer.

I've seen one cattery offering rabbit boarding but I don't like the idea of the buns being next door to cats. If a new person comes into our home they are both so nervous, I think they'd certainly be frightened of cats.

There is a local option but there's only one room available and they aren't yet bonded! Which again makes things difficult, as we've kept then out of sight of each other for months with the hope of being able to rebond. There is a question mark over possible EC with Buster so until they have both finished Panacur and Buster has been weaned off some other meds I don't really want to attempt it.

I do have someone lines up to bond them, maybe I can arrange for the bond to be attempted whilst we're away. Maybe I need to set up a business doing house bunny boarding! Definitely a gap in the market x

I've found a couple of suitable boarding places up to an hour and a half away. Email has gone about the bonding aswell so fingers crossed. Thanks again xx

Have replied to your PM. Am happy to bond while you are away. I do have cats but the buns will be kept in my bedroom, which is a cat-free zone. They will be in a small pen - but that is essential for bonding - they can't have a large area or they will just sit separately. They will sulk for a while - but all buns get over it and it is for their benefit in the end.

Maurice and Marnie have forgiven me - I am still allowed to have strokes when I visit:lol:

Hope this solves your problem. Having so much notice is great as it allows me to organise my working hours around the bond.

Thankyou sooo much Karen!! I completely understand they need restricted space for the bond, for that reason there is no problem at all.

I really hope it works. Since their neuter Thumper is so relaxed and laid back. Buster remains highly strung but I'm hoping the different personalities will make a good pair xx

Karen bonded my two boys. She was brilliant!
my two adore each other now and soo close now!
Its lovely now they are together and so very happy!
Good luck
x

Back