• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips to make a homemade 'hutch' for inside.

PinkBun

Alpha Buck
So it's -6 here now, we have a blizzard and I havent fed snowy yet as I don't want her to freeze. I want to bring her inside with the fire on and in the warmth but I don't know how I can house her.

Any ideas? xo

Not sure on a home made one, a puppy pen would be okay with time out of it.

Rabbits are hardier than you think :wave: If you bring her in now, even just for a few hours, you won't be able to put her back out until April/May time. Bringing her in and by the fire may actually make her poorly as it's such a fast transition from cold to warm.

Not sure on a home made one, a puppy pen would be okay with time out of it.

Rabbits are hardier than you think :wave: If you bring her in now, even just for a few hours, you won't be able to put her back out until April/May time. Bringing her in and by the fire may actually make her poorly as it's such a fast transition from cold to warm.

So you think I should leave her out?:shock:

I agree with aly&poppy about the fire, we brought Peter in ( to stay until spring) on Saturday but have set him up in the spare room with no radiator on and window slightly open. So its not warm as such but he is away from the wind and snow.

So you think I should leave her out?:shock:

Mine have been outside in colder temps and they're still here ;) honestly, the thickness of a rabbits coat is amazing, they might feel cold on top but if you touch their body they will be warm :)

Just give her plenty of extra hay/straw, maybe put a towel or blanket on the radiator for an hour or so and give her that for some extra warmth. Just make sure there are no draughts or snow/rain getting into the hutch :)

Ooh will do then, i've padded her up with straw, hay and 2 blankets.
Do I keep the cover up now? xo

Ooh will do then, i've padded her up with straw, hay and 2 blankets.
Do I keep the cover up now? xo

Keep it down for now :) You could always lift a corner up for ventilation if there isn't much. What I used to do was have the covers rolled up slightly at one end so they had fresh air but it wasn't 'beating' them with the cold :)

Isn't snowy a fluffy breed of bun? She should be absolutely fine, my single Netherland Dwarf was out in The Big Freeze in 2010 where it got down to at least -10 and she was fiiiiiiiine! She didnt even have a snugglesafe! I bring her in now and she stays in over winter but it's only because shes nearly six and is getting a bit stiff, she goes out in april-may until December!

I'd give her more pellets than usual, because she'll use up energy keeping herself warm. What I also do is cram straw in the outdoor pair's bedroom right to the ceiling and they tunnel through as they would do in the wild, I stuck my hand in once and it was SO warm!:shock: Just make sure she isn't in a particularly windy place, and if she is cover the side that is affected with a blanket or something, and she'll be fine! xx

9 times out of 10, you will make a bun the cosiest hutch you can, with the hay and the snugglesafes and the blankets on the top and they will STILL choose to sit out in the cold and wet...:roll:

Snowy will be fine, it sounds like you've made her a lovely house.

x

like the others have said Im sure she will be fine, mine all live outside and have done for years and have been fine , my guineapigs also live outside and survived the big freeze a couple of years ago, I just top up the straw in their beds each evening and put lots of hay in their other bit to munch on, 2 of my piggys pull their straw back out again as Im sure they get too warm but they are very fluffy, mine all have covers down at night but lifted during the day.

Back