• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is It ok To Let My Rabbit Out in THe Snow ?

LaurasBunnies

Young Bun
I know it is safe for rabbits to go out in the snow, but for the last few weeks my rabbit has been strictly inside and hasn't been out at all. I don't want him outside in the cold as alone rabbit and he won't go outside till I get a shed and rescue a partner. Anyway I was wondering is it safe for him to have a little hop outside in the snow ? Most likely is, but I am checking everything I do with him, as I haven't owned a rabbit in afew years :)

Bring the snow to him! Putting a rabbit that has been inside for a few weeks out in cold snow might be bit of a shock temperature wise.

Grab a washing up bowl or something and fill it with snow, put it on a towel/somewhere easy to clean up and let him dig in it :thumb:

Bring the snow to him! Putting a rabbit that has been inside for a few weeks out in cold snow might be bit of a shock temperature wise.

Grab a washing up bowl or something and fill it with snow, put it on a towel/somewhere easy to clean up and let him dig in it :thumb:

That sounds like a MUCH better idea, I'm gonna do that instead :) thanks you for the tip :D

Mine really love running about in the snow - but they are outside every day anyway, so are used to the cold / wet and have a full winter coat. I would always make sure that they have somewhere warm and dry to shelter, and that they are not subjected to sudden changes of temperature.

last year I opened up my patio door and gave them the choice to go out and try it..only 3 went out and they were back indoors within a few minutes as I don't like being cold either :lol: They did like it though!

They can be outside for a little bit if they want to.

It reminds me of when my Aroma first experienced snow. She was an outside bun so temperature wasn't a problem. I just opened her hutch one morning, she jumped out and immediately back in:lol: It didn't take her long to get used to it though:D

I'd never let an indoor bunny out into the snow. It would be a massive shock to the system, and they wouldn't be adapted to it.

Edit: this isn't so much aimed at the OP as just to the discussion, since others have said they would/do.

Last edited:
I won't let mine out in the snow. Even a few minutes is going to be a huge shock when they don't have a full winter coat.

I do sometimes bring snow in for my two, but they just sit and lick it :lol:

the year before last I put my pair outside while I cleaned them out but they were living in the conservatory so still pretty cold! This year they won't be going out but I'll bring snow in for play time :lol:

I let my indoor rabbits go out in the snow if they want to for a quick run I really don't think it will do any harm. As long as you let your bunny come in as soon as they want to and not for long. Sometimes people can be a little too cautious I think!

To me letting indoor rabbits go out in the snow is like going out in it in your underwear ;) i have done the bring the snow to them thing and they enjoyed it.

If you usually let your indoor rabbit out for a run outside then I think it's ok. If they are too cold they won't go out!

However as Mr B never goes out even in summer I wouldn't ever let him out in the snow.

To me letting indoor rabbits go out in the snow is like going out in it in your underwear ;) i have done the bring the snow to them thing and they enjoyed it.

they do that in Lapland :lol: sit in the sauna then run outside into the snow :shock:

they do that in Lapland :lol: sit in the sauna then run outside into the snow :shock:

They have the choice ;) I think it's fine if you stand with the door open and they go out by themselves and can get in themselves but it's not always something a house rabbits setup allows. Mine don't live downstairs and even if they did there is no safe route to a run or safe garden for them.

Back